CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Have a question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Why should I get into coon dogs? I'm not trying to start a war or anything but I'm asking because I've never been. Don't know anyone that does it. I've owned beagles but got out due to bs! Seems like everyone I talk to online about coonhounds are some really nice and down home people. I've pondered and still am on getting a dog or 2 but don't want to jump in and not like it. I've heard people hunt the coons and sell the fur, is this true? Sorry for the questions I've never been around them.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Have a question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If you have never gone coonhunting, I would suggest that you go with some local guys that have good hounds. After a hunt or two, you will know if it is your thing or not. If you go with some sorry hounds, it will not be enjoyable. For me... I went with an older guy that had some good hounds, and I was ABSOLUTELY HOOKED before we even made it to the first tree that night!!! His old walker ran a track to catch the coon(and she DID catch them regularly) and was still the most accurate and balanced dog I have ever seen. I hunted with her til the day before she died...

Hunting with dogs was not new to me. I had already trained 3 labs for pheasant/ duck hunting. I hunted rabbits with a friend who owned some very nice beagles.

There is just something awesome about hearing a hound strike a track and turn the silence of night into an awesome race!

I go coon hunting every chance I get, and I love every minute of it. My opinion is that coonhounds have a drive that is unlike any drive I have seen in other breeds. I have hunted pheasant and quail with labs, german shorthairs, brittanys, spaniels... all very good hunters. But around the house they are content to play with the kids, play fetch, laze around, etc. when you take them hunting, they change into hunt mode.
My coonhounds have 1 thing on their minds!!! They are ALWAYS in hunt mode! They still love attention around the house, but when I turn them loose, I will find them under a tree!! They are COON CRAZY... and so am I!

Post subject: Re: Have a question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks jeeppro I have been one time with a guy but dogs didn't tree anything. Going in a few weeks to a local club and watch them run so from what I've seen it will be addictive