CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and relatively new to coon hunting. However, I'm not new to dogs in general. I grew up with rescued racing Greyhounds and realized at a young age that I have a talent for training dogs. I have trained rescued pet dogs out of some really difficult behavior issues and made them into good, obedient dogs. I can train a dog to do just about anything, so I figured I could learn to train hunting dogs.

I've always admired working dogs, especially hunting dogs, and loved seeing them do what they were meant do to. Plus I think that dogs are happier with a job to do. Around here the mountains are too steep and the woods too dense to hunt with Sighthounds (they need open space to catch they prey), so when I decided I wanted to train hunting dogs, I figured it was best to go with Coonhounds. So after tagging along as a spectator on a season's worth of competition hunts, I bought a Bluetick puppy.

Rosemary, my Bluetick puppy, likes playing with coon skins and has learned how to bark at trees. I don't think she's quite made the connection between coons and trees yet, but she's only 7 1/2 months old, so she's got plenty of time to learn. She is very pretty, so I intend to show her as well this spring.

I've also got Dixie, the Border Collie / Australian Shepherd who's also learning to hunt. I got her from a friend who got her as a livestock dog and couldn't handle her hyper and lack of socialization and training, so I socialized and obedience trained her with the the intention of giving her back. When she started attacking the livestock and my friend became unable to take care of her due to a divorce and unstable living arrangements, we decided it would be best for me to keep Dixie permanently and teach her to hunt.

Then there's Pearl, the old Black & Tan, who was given to me as a pup trainer. She knows how to hunt, but she's crazy and her manners are horrible. I've been teaching her manners, but she's incredibly hard-headed and set in her ways so it's been a real challenge. I haven't had her for all that long, so her manners are far from perfect, but she is making progress.

I've also got Jed, the elderly pet Beagle. He's bacon-flavored senile so he gets confused easily, is afraid of the dark, and terrified of guns, so he doesn't hunt. But he's likeable.

I've also got a pet cat, a small flock of egg-laying chickens, and I'm temporarily taking care of 2 pigs.

One of my goals in coon hunting, other than bringing out the very best in my dogs, is to set a positive ethical example for other hunters. I've noticed that some hunters treat their dogs better than others, and I don't intend to preach to anyone about the treatment of the dogs, I just want to set a good example by treating my dogs well. What I mean is that I spend quality time with them away from the hunt as well as in the woods. I let them off their chains regularly to play and socialize, I built a pen in the house so they can come inside in really yucky weather, and I'll sometimes let them ride around with me even if we're not going hunting-- they love Tractor Supply. I also take a few dead coons from the local Coon Hunter's Club on most Saturday nights and cook them up and eat them and feed them to the dogs so they don't go to waste.

I've been reading the forum for quite a while, so I figured it was time to join. I hope to ask questions and learn, share my insights, and tell some of my crazy and colorful dog stories.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:48 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

good luck with your dogs,i hope you have fun training them and that they make you coon dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:34 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I advise you to get a e-collar (make sure to put in a dummy collar on before this)on that Black and Tan. When he gets out of hand sting him a little-- that'll teach him.

Your Bluetick pup may need more time. Don't get in a rush to start her. Give her a couple more months. In the meantime, I'd start obediance training if she hasn't had any.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

CoonBaumer wrote:
I advise you to get a e-collar (make sure to put in a dummy collar on before this)on that Black and Tan. When he gets out of hand sting him a little-- that'll teach him.

Your Bluetick pup may need more time. Don't get in a rush to start her. Give her a couple more months. In the meantime, I'd start obediance training if she hasn't had any.

Thanks for the advice.

Pearl's (the Black & Tan) previous owner told me that she used to run the batteries out on an e-collar and keep barking. She's truly crazy. When I first got her she ran back and forth at the end of her chain barking and squeaking practically every waking second. I think I'm just going to have to get inside her mind the best I can to break her of it. She is making progress, but she is hard-headed.

Right now I'm just letting Rosemary (the Bluetick) run around in the woods at night and play and watch Pearl bark at trees. At this point I'm doing more socializing than anything. She knows "sit" and lately we've been playing the "come when called game" on a lunge rope during daylight. Coon skins are chew toys for her at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

whats the border collie/ ausi gonna hunt?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:42 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What part of North Ga are you in? I'm in NE Ga and always looking for other people and places to hunt