CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Making a good dog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

[list=][/list] Just wondering what do you all think makes a good dog besides bloodline? The trainer or just getting it out in the woods or knocking a lot of fur out to it?

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Making a good dog
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:10 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The dog has to have the drive and be handled properly. JMO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:09 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

TN Tree Dog wrote:
The dog has to have the drive and be handled properly. JMO

You hit the nail on the head. A dog with all the drive in the world is no good if it's not handled proper. And you can do everything right with a dog that has no drive and have nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:53 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have a walker pup I had gave to me when he was 4 weeks old. I have been working with him a lot, I have trapped a lot but never had a coon dog. He is 6 months old and seems to know what its all about, have good drive and be smart. he has treed 4 raccoon to date on his own. 4th one was last night.(Saturday 24th) He treed his first 2 last sunday night. and one Tuesday. I am very happy with him but my lack of experience leaves me wondering if you guys have any tips on things to do or not do with him to keep him progressing along. he has only been run with a good older dog twice and wouldn't run with them just stayed with me so everything he knows is basically self taught. He has treed on 4 trees since sunday and there were raccoon in every tree. so I feel he is fairly accurate and not running posume. he likes to run deer once in awhile and I am working with him and his shock collar on that.

I know I need to get him to hunt out and run with strange dogs better and break him of the deer running. Is there any other things I should be teaching him? Tips at the tree? tips while hunting?

I just want him to turn out as good as he can and def don't wanna do anything to hurt how he turns out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:52 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Love him up really good when he's got the meat in the tree! And as hard as this is to remember, at his age it's very easy to burn them out, so make sure for a while it stays fun and not a hassle for him. Good luck! Would love to hear more down the road.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:55 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

okay sounds good we usually go on quick hunts no more then 2 hours and it seems he loves to hunt, but ya I will try and keep it fun for him. It is pretty addicting seeing your pup doing some good things so I could be running him a little too much and kill season ends here on next Saturday. I will try and take it easy on him though. thanks for the advice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Glad to help

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:15 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Natural ability, the dog has to have it to bring it out. We like pups you just take to the woods and start in a natural coon hunting environment. Pups that don't need to see cage coon or be messed with, with hide drags. If you have a natural Coon Dawg just put it in the woods and keep it there. They don't learn a thing by sitting on a chain or in a kennel. To make a good dog hunt it three nights a week. To make a top dog hunt in 7 nights a week in all weather conditions.

But for a 6 month old pup just take him once a week or so, don't burn it out. At a year of age hunt like I mentioned above.

Brad & Alison (Wilcox) McGill
(660) 833-3180

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:17 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hazel Hill Blueticks wrote:
Natural ability, the dog has to have it to bring it out. We like pups you just take to the woods and start in a natural coon hunting environment. Pups that don't need to see cage coon or be messed with, with hide drags. If you have a natural Coon Dawg just put it in the woods and keep it there. They don't learn a thing by sitting on a chain or in a kennel. To make a good dog hunt it three nights a week. To make a top dog hunt in 7 nights a week in all weather conditions.

But for a 6 month old pup just take him once a week or so, don't burn it out. At a year of age hunt like I mentioned above.

I have a question for ya or anyone else that can give me good advice.
I have a red bone male he loves the woods. LoL
I played with him on a hide a few times and bring him out to the woods. I know he will run a deer track. Need to start putting his shock collar back on him in the woods. He just hit 10months old and was told to start spend 5-7nights a week with him in the woods. Now I gotta be to bed early so doing a full hunt can't happen. If I only make it out for a hour or so at night would that be good enough and nights I can go longer do so?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:47 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Some woods time is better than none at all the way I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:06 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I hunt my 11 mos. M Walker no more than 2 hrs. a night, 2-3 times a week and he is taking right off! I have to be up at 4am every morn. to milk cows so I take em out right before dark and usually make it home within a couple hours. I hunt behind the farm I live on so it makes for an easy job but patience is a MUST when trying to train a pup. Hes been treeing den trees a lot lately so I just keep on working with him and give him the benefit of the doubt that a coon is up there somewhere. Young pups take SO MUCH PATIENCE to keep them interested. Sounds like you're doing just fine to me.
Good luck and keep us updated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:33 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Garth wrote:
I hunt my 11 mos. M Walker no more than 2 hrs. a night, 2-3 times a week and he is taking right off! I have to be up at 4am every morn. to milk cows so I take em out right before dark and usually make it home within a couple hours. I hunt behind the farm I live on so it makes for an easy job but patience is a MUST when trying to train a pup. Hes been treeing den trees a lot lately so I just keep on working with him and give him the benefit of the doubt that a coon is up there somewhere. Young pups take SO MUCH PATIENCE to keep them interested. Sounds like you're doing just fine to me.
Good luck and keep us updated.

How far does he go away from you?
If it gets dark my pup won't go but 100yrds from me but during the day if he hits a deer track he will go 1/4-1/2 mile out. I know I need to break him from running deer. LoL I am going to start putting the shock collar on him again in the woods. Going to get him out again maybe tonight and again this weekend.
I feel your pain on how early you get up. I am up at 3am and to work by 4. Hard to stay up to make it out while dark.
Thanks for all the advice!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:57 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I will tell you the deer tracking and running can be very hard to break. I messed with other hounds for years before meeting my Wife and her family line of hounds. I am not telling you to give up on your hound, but I feel it is a genetic trait. Its kinda like a dog that's aggressive towards other dogs. Sometimes you can get them bent but not broke. Their are hounds that are naturals and naturally straight cooners. My Wife's Grandpa told me for years..... He said; " Brad if you want a good dog I will find you one". I sure wish I listened to the old man many years before I did. It would have saved a lot of time and bullets. Good luck with your hound.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:24 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

gdwalker-my puppy, 10mos. M Walker usually goes out a couple hundred yds. at a time but comes back regularly to check in which I appreciate VERY MUCH!!! I have no interest in competitively hunting and Im teaching my pup that I enjoy the bonding we do in the woods no matter what people think about a "good" dog taking off and hunting non-stop. I think my dog is a one man hunter because when I take my son or a friend with us he takes off and I don't see him until he trees! Weird huh?!?!
At 11 mos. I think your dog can be broke of trash with a collar. I could be wrong but I wouldn't give up on a pup at 11 mos. especially if you really love him and enjoy the work. It wont be easy or happen overnight but patience is a MUST for ANY and ALL dogs. If you can catch that dog red-handed chasing trash and correct him immediately, he CAN be broke. I wouldn't however punish him for anything unless you can catch him in the act! Collars are GREAT because the punishment isn't connected to you when he needs corrected. He is going to simply associate chasing trash with an unpleasant experience. Stay in good standings with your dog and the bond will only grow stronger. Puppys need positive reinforcement and your attention to grow into what you want and patience will go a long way in growing close to your dog. Just remember.....please be patient. He needs it!!!!
Good luck my friend, the work is worth it!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yeah my pup is the same way.
If anyone is out with us, he will go way off and not check in but just me and him he checks in and really works. I do have a shock collar but haven't used it in a while now. I normally walk around in the woods with him. I too won't be comp hunting. I just enjoy the hunt.
When I know he is running a deer track I hollar no at him and call him back. He looks at me as if he knows he isn't suppose to run it but it was there. I put him on his leash for a few and redirect him then tell him, "go find a coon" and releas him again.
I don't know if what I am doing is correct but it seems to be working. LoL
Thanks for all the words of encouragement.