CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:40 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hello! I figured I'd ask a question about squirrel and coon hunting. I've heard of some people using the same dog for the same thing, just they hunted squirrel in the day and coon in the night.

I personally would like to find a dog at some point for this, but I wonder if it would end up being more trouble than it is worth? I figure the dogs would get caught up on squirrel scents/dens a lot during the night possibly when hunting coon versus a dog that is strictly a coon dog?

I could be wrong of course, being why I asked. I don't own a hound at this time, young and just do not have the financial stability to do so right now as I'm saving for other things (e.g. electrician classes at the moment.)

But, one day I'd like to get at least one hound to hunt with. I'm not too interested in breeding, I just already hunt squirrel and infrequently coon by myself but have wanted a dog also. It seems to be more fun with a dog and I guess those stories my grandfather always told me are still ingrained into me.

Years ago (before I came along) he told me stories of when he would coon hunt, they primarily had blueticks but he also said he had what were called "Black English hounds- best dogs I ever had and never could find anymore like them." He primarily used them for deer dogs in the day but he'd hunt coon with them at night, supposedly one of the old blueticks he had even fought off a panther one night.

But, those were years ago. While I grew up, he tried with some black and tans or red bones he got from other people free or relatively cheap and you couldn't get those dogs to chase a biscuit across the yard- they just lied there all day.

I haven't really decided which breed I like most, they all seem pretty similar to me right now other than confirmation and color. I tend to prefer the bark of a bluetick but otherwise I kind of favor cur dogs.

It'll still be some time yet before I get any, so I guess I have awhile to decide yet; until then I figured I could learn as much as I can during that time so when I actually get a dog I'll know how to handle him better :D.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm a cur man myself but I say hunt with as many different kinds of dogs and as many different people as possible(everybody's dogs aren't good) until you see what you like.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for your reply. Would you say initially though, that training a dog on squirrel and coon is alright? Or would you say it can do more harm than good (due to squirrel scents and all distracting from the coons of vice versa)?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:45 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

All depends what you would like to accomplish and the dog. Some would probably have the brains to know that night time equals coon, and day time does not. I personally would just train for coon. I've found at least in my area young dogs will pull up short on a squirrel den, while tracking a coon. That becomes frustrating.
You shouldn't have any problem finding a hound for free if you know where to look.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have hunted mountain curs on both coon and squirrel for about 13 years. No experience doing so with hounds. I currently have a Leopard cur/ hound pup (registered both ways) that I am considering starting on squirrel even though I don't plan on using to hunt squirrel. All my old dogs were started that way then introduced to coon. Some never took to coon especially the OMC (original mountain cur). I think squirrels are less intimidating to a young dog. I have had no problem with them getting day and night crossed up. Sometimes they treed a lay up coon during daytime and once I had a problem with flying squirrels on a moonlit night. Oh and one time at a nite hunt another handler/ guide pulled a fast one by taking our cast by a squirrel den tree he knew about right after dark. His cur wouldn't tree squirrels so he thought he could get me minused for my dog slick treeing. This is my first Leopard but so far he looks like he may be the best of both worlds (cur/hound) .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:48 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yeah to be clear a lot of my problems have been with flying squirrels

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:26 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Little late, but I'd like to thank both of you for your reply. The information is much appreciated. :D