CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:41 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Hey folks,

I don't hunt so I feel weird posting here, but after several days of trying to figure something out for myself, I thought it might be time to ask some experts. People at the regular dog forums don't have a clue either which is why I sought out a forum like this one where people know about hunting dogs.

I live in south Florida and recently adopted a dog that was found wandering the streets in the Miami area. She had no identification, collar, or microchip, not spayed and under 2 years old (according to the vet). After talking to the person who found her, I don't think much was done to try to find the owners which is sad so I spent the first 3 weeks trying only because it felt like the right thing to do. At any rate, she ended up at a rescue which is where I adopted her. She was listed as an English foxhound, but I didn't care much about her breed anyway. My family and I were just looking for a dog without much preference for breed. The foster said she sort of guessed at the breed anyway.

Now I'm trying to find out what she really is just to satisfy my own curiousity. We have never owned any kind of hound so some of her behaviors are new for us. And her bark is something else!

Let me know if you are willing to look at pictures and take a stab at helping me see if she is a treeing walker coonhound. I read those are more common in the states than foxhounds so it makes sense if she is. After days of reading everything on the net and looking at hundreds of pictures, I'm no closer at being able to tell the difference between the breeds.

She's 50 lbs, 23" tall at the withers, tri-color. I'm told she was very skinny when found so she used to weigh less. And she doesn't look underweight to me at all.

She has a bark that reverberates the walls. Lol! And I know foxhounds were bred for hunting, but it was a sight to see when some huge rodent ran along our fence the other night and up a tree and I swear this dog jumped 6' up that tree barking up a storm. Freaked me out a little. I never had a dog that could do that before! So I'm very intrigued now and want to learn what breed she is.

Thanks!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:54 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

She could very well be a walker or walker mix. They and fox hounds are pretty close, I believe their are running walkers(foxhounds) then there are treeing walkers(coonhounds) post a picture and we will all take a guess!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:27 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here's a bunch. Thanks in advance!

She's getting used to being indoors, but we could tell she probably spent all her time outdoors. She loves being outside but has heart worm disease so we trying not to let her get too riled up which is difficult to put it mildly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I would say she is definately a treeing walker coonhound. Very good looking dog

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:57 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I tell you a couple things that stand out about this dog for me is that she doesn't have some kind of knee or hip problem. Seems every dog we ever adopted had something going on like that. And she can run!! And jump! The second thing is she is very in-your-face looking for attention and likes to put her paw on your shoulder or chest as if trying to communicate, but maybe I'm reading too much into that...

What I worry about with her is being able to nurture her instincts while also not letting her run the whole neighborhood. She's already gotten away from us 5 times (out the front door, not by jumping a fence). I can see this is probably how she got away from her original owners too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Oh, and the last 2 inches of her tail appear to have broken then healed crooked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:19 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

She is imo a walker or mix of such. Hounds in general are very loving and intelligent. They do like attention. They are made to run prey animals, they can run fast and for long distances. They are athletes to say the least. I hope she gets rid of the heartworms! She will need a diet a consistent diet and plenty of exercise when she gets over them. She looks pretty healthy in the pictures though. Good luck and enjoy! The do make good pets as well as hunting companions.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Id say she is pure bred treeing walker or very close to it. Her breeding looks like several lines that produce hard hunters. You will need to train her on recall. Wether it be through command, dog whistle or ecollar. Having a dog, bolt is just asking for an accident. Google recall training for articles and methods of training. I would recommend buying yourself an ecollar, and learn to use it properly, this will allow you to take her to the woods or a farm and let her run freely but still remain in control. Or you can teach her to run while you ride a bike or just jog with her. This is very important!! You will find if you don't burn her energy on a daily basis through proper means, examples hunting, jogging, biking. Etc she will begin to turn her energy in negative behavior, stealing food, chewing, barking etc. These dogs are wonderful dogs but need a very active lifestyle to be content both mentally and physically. As long as you consistently meet her need to run, she will most likely be one of the best dogs you will ever own. BTW hunting now of days doesn't exactly mean hunting. A lot of guys now of days train there hounds to tree raccoon with out ever harvesting the animal. Competitions are running with no coon ever being harmed. Much like catch and release fishing. I would encourage you to consider finding a local hunter to ride along with sometime to see what it is all about. It truly amazing to watch your hound at work.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks so much. I had emailed a random breeder of treeing walkers as well and he was nice enough to look at the pix. He thinks she's treeing walker too. So that seals it for me. Thanks for the tips on recall training too. We're gonna need it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:04 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

After some more thought, her bolting is probably an example of her having too much pent up energy. The dogs have been bred generation after generation, to be high drive, energy and to have lots of endurance. Different dogs within the breed will need more or less of an exercise routine. Hopefully you got one that isn't to wired.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:06 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
After some more thought, her bolting is probably an example of her having too much pent up energy. The dogs have been bred generation after generation, to be high drive, energy and to have lots of endurance. Different dogs within the breed will need more or less of an exercise routine. Hopefully you got one that isn't to wired.

I agree. She can be pretty mellow, but I think the confinement is taking its toll. This week, she has started sneaking off with my kids stuffed animals and leaving them in random places. Ripping paper she finds, eating pencils, crayons, and random stuff. She's bored to death. I want to exercise her so bad but the vet said not to until her heartworm is resolved. But sadly that is going to take 4-5 months. Still, she had an X-ray last week that showed her heartworm wasn't bad at all so I'm considering letting her run out in the yard and only confining her after she's given the immiticide shots which is what kills the heartworm and could kill her. I don't think she would be a very happy dog if she can't use up some of that energy between now and July.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:48 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Get her in the woods when u can meet u a coon hunter around u and see what she will do make sure he has a tracking collar u can use incase she didn't tree and if his dogs tree one she may come in to em knock one out to her and see if she knows what to do with it if not she may be a squirrel dog I know some boys in Florida that use them walker dogs for squirrel and coon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:46 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Weird. I didn't think anybody did any hunting down here. Was wondering why anyone would have a hunting dog down here at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Did the people say where she was picked up

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:48 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Pinecrest (Miami) Florida