CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

stu9344 wrote:
Draw me packing a silent dog and your going to the truck if I am judging . That's the rules plain and simple. The cur registries allow it !

So you're saying you'd scratch a dog that treed layup coons all night?
Okay...

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I don't know who that stu guy is but I think he just likes to start problems he tried to start stuff with me to in a pm tryin to say I'm somebody he knows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:43 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Dodgeman1988 wrote:
I don't know who that stu guy is but I think he just likes to start problems he tried to start stuff with me to in a pm tryin to say I'm somebody he knows
I defiantly know who you are and don't try so hard trying to convince people you live in Florida. :shock: And what's your comment have to do with a silent dog?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:57 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Dodgeman1988 wrote:
So what's the reason for a tight mouth dog not gettin bred

I never said tight mouthed I said silent dogs. The reason they shouldn't be bred is because of function. With out a garmin you would have no way of following your hound. This also why ukc states that a consistently silent dog on track should be scratched because in theory they shouldn't be able to win titles. I have no problems with a tight mouthed hounds, a lay up dog, I own one myself, but she also will strike a cold track work it out and open up one it becomes hotter, locate and tree.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:02 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
Dodgeman1988 wrote:
:D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:06 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
Dodgeman1988 wrote:

I never said tight mouthed I said silent dogs. The reason they shouldn't be bred is because of function. With out a garmin you would have no way of following your hound. This also why ukc states that a consistently silent dog on track should be scratched because in theory they shouldn't be able to win titles. I have no problems with a tight mouthed hounds, a lay up dog, I own one myself, but she also will strike a cold track work it out and open up one it becomes hotter, locate and tree. You know good and well UKC rules are suppose to be bent for a silent dog!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I misread what u said maxius I get what u mean I have never seen a dog that don't open on track at all so I can't comment on that

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:56 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

But on the same note I know a
Bunch of GNC dogs that don't need to be bred cause either the title was bought or cheated to get but around where I use to live it didn't matter what kind of titles u have on ur dog folks around there could care less they go off of what they see and hear

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Fighting side was known to be silent on the ground, guy tried to trade me a pup out of him, who was also silent on the ground, I hunted with another local dog, never said a word on track. The stupid part was he would tree, get first strike and tree, and then strike points would be closed for the rest of the cast. Even though dog never truly struck. The dog won a couple hunts that way and then was sold for quite a bit. No different then a deer runner that falls off Treed on a coon, or a babbler that always get first strike before they are even struck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Billme94 wrote:
Maximus13 wrote:
Tighter mouth dogs tend to be faster on track. Hence why some guys don't mind them.

its harder for those big eared followers to tag along.
Then you add in a countdown timers with pkc point system all of a sudden Ol' Shut mouth is winning the $$$$.
... lol ol shut mouth

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:59 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

A dog that is silent on track is a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is that you can tree coon quicker and kill more coon when season rolls around. The coon won't know the dog is there until the dog is almost like right up on them and therefore they tree up quicker. The bad thing is that you cant hear the dogs run track and when the dog opens up on track the coon knows the dog is there and therefore the coon runs farther. Not all the time but that is usually how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:21 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

READ THE RULES YOUNG BUCKS. they are on the back of every scorecard handed out. in UKC SCRATCH DOGS IF rule 6 (i) if dogs are continuously silent on track.

the reason most don't get scratched is because very few hounds are COMPLETELY silent on track (it is a cur trait not hound).

there is a difference in tight mouth and silent and a tight mouth dog can also be a honeest first strike dog. tight mouthed dogs don't win anymore hunts then loose mouth dogs it just comes down to the individual dog. big winners can go about winning in many different ways or styles. I figure if i get beat by a babbling idiot or a tight mouth dog (that according to some can only strike for 25?) then I need to start looking for something better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

In my experience, tight mouthed does not always mean will not bark on a track. It just means barks less on track. I have a tight mouthed dog and yes sometimes she only gets a measly 50 or 25 on strike. However that is not always the case, but I guarantee she will get 100 on every tree. I have hunted with several babbling dogs or loose mouthed dogs (lets not even say they are babbling) and I have found that they beat my dog on strike and my dog beats them on tree. Majority of the time I find that those dogs are barking in one part of the woods and then after my dog trees in a totally different direction that dog all of a sudden ends his track, after the time on my tree has either expired or gotten close to expiring, and then they tree for either nothing and get that great 100 strike deleted or only get 125+ on the tree I just got 150+ on. So with that being said I like my tighter mouthed dog. I don't know that I would like a dog that is still mouthed on the ground though. As far as I know PKC does not state anything about scratching a tight mouthed dog or still mouthed dog, but they do have a rule on babbling dogs. As for the other registries I am not sure but if you are going to scratch a dog because it does not bark on a track until it trees then there is something wrong with that ruling. The only problem I could see with that particular situation would be the dog catching game off guard and killing it. However I have never hunted with a dog that had this problem. Most dogs you hunt comp hunts with will be either tight mouthed or loose mouthed, not still mouthed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:02 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Just an update....I'm the op on this thread and when I started it the dog in question was a year and a half..and he's not "silent" as I originally posted. He is, however, pretty tight. He's now a little over 2 and I've got PKC dollars won on him and have a first place UKC win. He likes to get all by himself...and he won't budge. I think I like em "a little tight". I appreciate all the input from everybody.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

question is this... how can you prove when that hound smells a coon? he could be not smelling it til he hits the tree its in, in theory? you can argue that point all day long and take it back to the club and win that argument every time.. nobody can smell what a hound does and if we could we wouldnt need one to start with.