CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:43 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I recently purchases a half brother half sister cross pup. I purchased him as a pup and he is now 5 months old. I'm concerned with some of the looks he gives me. He does this snorting sound, and curls his upper lip up baring all of his teeth. Im aware pups like to horse play,growl, etc.etc. I however haven't seen a pup with this much grit. Im considering selling him before I have to pay him up. Any thoughts? Maybe I can get some video up.
Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Some dogs just show teeth when excited. I have known many dogs that look like they're going to bite at any moment but have not got a mean bone in their body. Not sure about yours but that's what I think you're describing. It's almost like they're over smiling.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:13 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

fordallen69 wrote:
Some dogs just show teeth when excited. I have known many dogs that look like they're going to bite at any moment but have not got a mean bone in their body. Not sure about yours but that's what I think you're describing. It's almost like they're over smiling.

That's exactly it, I have never seen this before. Do they usually grow out of it. He seems to be doing it a little less.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I have seen some grow out of it and some that kept it. What I've seen had nothing to do with grit or meanness just the dogs ehy of showing excitement or affection. Some I've seen looked awful ugly with that look. If you dog isnt growling or acting aggressive in other ways at the same time then I wouldn't think it is anything to worry about other than just looking funny.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:41 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My mother has a golden retriever that is a sharp lookong dog. He is 9 or 10 and always had that look when happy to see me but he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:14 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I had a Australian sheperd that showed her teeth when she was excited or happy to see u coming, things of that nature.. We always called it smiling we thought it was neat. She never grew out of it stayed that way till she was 14 years old.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

i got my male dog for a great price for this same reason. he is a big push over. the guy that had him wouldnt even go feed him because of it. I have started many pups with him and he is a hunt with anything type of dog.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:34 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yea my Australian shep was big push over great with kids. You could even make her "smile" on command one of the best dogs I ever owned

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I also have a Aussie that does the smiling thing. I have always let my hound pups out to play with them and believe it or not he will carol them away from the road when they get to close.He even follows my 9 year old daughter step for step when she is outside and will not let a stranger in the yard when doing so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:34 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

A friend of mine has a german short hair that does the smiling thing when she gets excited. And she gets excited about a lot of things. So she has that smiling look quite often. She doesn't have a mean bone in her but it freaks people out at first then when she starts licking their hand and stuff they just say "Why that's a nice smile"!!!!!

So imo its nothing to worry about unless he starts showing other traits of being mean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:44 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

My old boss had a Aussie that would also smile, my brothers golden retriever gets a toy and growls when she's excited and wants to play

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:07 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Thanks for the replies I just couldn't figure it out, he combines it with a small snort, looks really goofy, thought maybe he was half crazy. Well actually he does act half.crazy. Aren't border collies and aussies related? That's why I like the line that I have, it seems to me they have a strong border collies influence in them, lots of intellect and drive... Maybe this is where the smile comes from? I keep my female in the house, she is the best house dog I have ever owned, She knows how to turn switch on and off, knows multiple commands,retrieves, walks with out a leash and is a quick learner.... Obv also a coondog. I think her multifaceted temperment has to be credited to outcrosses on border collies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:18 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Oh yeah and she has been treeing coon since she was 6 months old, hunts hard,independent,cold nosed and is a trrreeeee dog. Still young but I have high hopes for her.

Sorry don't mean to brag, just happy I got something I like.