CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Housing Coons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:21 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Looking to get a coon or 2 to train with. How do you guys house them? When and what to feed them. I thought it be easier to house them then try and trap them as needed do to have to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get them

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Housing Coons
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

bfd_ast wrote:
Looking to get a coon or 2 to train with. How do you guys house them? When and what to feed them. I thought it be easier to house them then try and trap them as needed do to have to drive 30 to 40 minutes to get them

2 or 3 days max is my best luk. It is aggravating transferring a coon to a bigger pen and even more aggravating transferring one back to a live trap to turnit loose. They will eat dogfeed and crap in the water bucket so I leave then in the trap and throw a rag over it. I throwin some dogfeed on one end and take a hose and thread it in the wire on the other end and leave it on a trickle all the time.
Mybe let a pup bay a coon 1 time, maybe 2 and no more. When you turn it loose, don't let the pup see it get a headstart. Pick up the cage and put it on top of your truck or in somebody elses truck and make him leave before you turn the pup out. so he won't stop and bay at an empty wire cage,LOL what you are fixing to try can sure make any pup look stupid to the point you get rid of him. I'd hunt with a real good trained dog but that is just me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Ok, yea just thinking

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i knew a guy that had a coon in a cage behind his house,he went out to feed it one morning and there laid in the cage part of a puppy that the coon had caught and was eating.i helped a guy move one time and he had a pet coon liveing in the house,the stank would bout knock you down when you open the door to go into the house.lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:30 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

skeets wrote:
i knew a guy that had a coon in a cage behind his house,he went out to feed it one morning and there laid in the cage part of a puppy that the coon had caught and was eating.i helped a guy move one time and he had a pet coon liveing in the house,the stank would bout knock you down when you open the door to go into the use.lol

I have a friend that is a wood carver and he is an artist. Direcctly he caught a coon and he kept it for five years in his house, Then it started taking over his house and he got scared of it . He built a 8by8by 8 cage . then, two years later, Coonie, jumped out the loft and tried to slit his throat. As cookkooo as my artist friend was , all this caused him to jump shittn and he slammed that coon . My friend is still hyar and the coon has been gone, so, think what you will.

Good, liberals v badassed Conservatives I recon is the Morales of this mushroom story.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Oh-K guys. I have a pet coon and I have to agree and disagree with the postings about them.

Three years ago a sow coon had 3 kittens in my daughter's attic. Eyes were not open when we got them out. Wife raised them on a bottle and all went well until about a year old. We had given the bore of the bunch to a friend with instructions to have it fixed, well they didn't and it turned aggressive. Thus I agree they can turn on you. About six months later one of our sows got to where she didn't want to be handled, but never turned aggressive. She would simply go to far end of pen and sulk. I turned her out and she hung around for about a week then went on her own way. Third we still have and I honestly believe this critter has NO idea she's a coon. Lives in a half basement with outside pen. This 40 plus pound coon plays with my wife's lap dog, uses pee pad when she's let in, and has never showed ANY sign of aggression. She is not nasty, nor is there any foul odor. True, her pen has to be cleaned, just like my kennel, but she's never fouled her drinking water. She, like the others when we had them, go to the vet and are current on all shots. In fact she is the star of the vet office when we take her. She loves to ride in my truck and no lead is required, but we use one away from home. Now, she was not taken from the wild and I'm sure that has alot to do with it, but she is and has always been playful and easy going.

Do I use her to train. NO. Doubt it would do any good anyway. We have that special hound, as I'm sure those of you with more than one do. Annie is so well behaved she's often turned out without a lead and runs and romps with my grand-kids. More than once she has ended up outside the coon's pen sniffing but never baying. Only thing I can figure out is that coon has all of our scent so strong on her Annie simply ignores the fact it's a coon. Never had a hound in the kennel wind her. I know you guys think I'm telling you a big one, but telling you the truth. My wife has pictures on her face book with this stupid coon playing with her rat/lap dog.

Our vet explained it as a combination of coon's personality and not being exposed to wild. She's a trip.

Trying to catch and keep a wild coon is not the beast of ideas guys. Just thought I'd share about our 's.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just my advise, I would think hard before posting on an open forum about housing wild animals that are illegal to possess and against the laws in your state.

According to the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries: Possessing wild animals without a permit is against state law.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/wildlife/nuisance-wildlife

By posting on forums -- you are not anonymous. Years ago, we had a forum member post training pics on this forum that he was turned in to local authorities and had charges filed against him as well as fines, confiscation, and etc...

This forum is monitored by the AR folks.

Thus why we posted this thread:

ANTI Alert - Posting Graphic Pics, Videos, and Comments
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=70635

I am locking this thread.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]