CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Never gave her a chance!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:24 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Taking Trixie out for 2nd time since I layed her up. Put all time in her bro. And Got aggravated with him and sold him cheap. Turned a coon loose last weekend and she ran and treed it 1st one she ever saw never fooled with her much and hope she continues to impress was for sale a year ago for 250 sure glad I didn't sale her. Took her tuesday might she was gone hole time but not even my main dog mad a tree in three hours.so taking her to the honey hole tonight maybe she will impress me once again!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:07 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

i hear ya,i had a female that was just starting to tree,tried to sell her to a buddy for two hundred bucks he wouldnt buy her,it wasnt a month later that dog went to being a coon dog.i kept her till she died of old age.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Thanks fellas' for proving a point I've tried to make to alot of hunters. Don't give up on a hound too early! More times that not it's Us not the hound. We get so impatient, think they ought to be doing better, or whatever, and we give up on them. I'm guilty. Done it more than once and no excuse for a preacher not to take his own advice. Remember giving a hard-headed, totally ignorant hound to a kid once. Had couple litter mates to this one that was running and treeing and all this one wanted to do was play around. Year later that same kid and hound put one of my best ones to shame on a club hunt.

I've purchased GOOD hounds DIRT cheap because a hunter gave up on them. Yeah, I've purchased some I should have donated the money to Mommy. Would of got more of a return, ifin' you know what I mean. But point is, when you get ready to throw your hands up and scream UNCLE, step back. Take a second, objective view, and think twice about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:55 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Yep she seems to be ready to go but I hunt in very thin coons. And she has to work hard to get on one. But she has showe that she can tree a hot one and can hunt as long as she wants an has not opened on any off game yet. Hopefully she turns out like her sire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:10 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Last night took Jack and Trixie out for Lil hunting she hunts hard in different directions than jack they eventually get in the same area jack strikes a coon and she is with him every step he trees she still says nothing I tie her back! Shoot him the coon let her watch the fight. Tie jack back and drag coin 70 yards or so and hang it up walk different direction bk were she doesn't follow my scent hopefully. Cut her loose she takes out over excited and runs past the drag and tree wide open then comes back and uses her nose to find the coon. Can't wait to see wat she does the next trip!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Love to read about a young hound doing good. Keep us informed on her progress.

Good Hunting with her!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:59 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I surely will Im on nights for 3 so it will be few days before I get to take her out again.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:43 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Coon hunting has gotten to the point where if your dog aint treein by 9 months folks think they are no good!. Lots of great hounds out there 8 month to a year old that impatient folks are tired of feeding.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:23 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Don't give up. There is no magic age. I have a 14 month old that is starting to do it on her own. She still has a lot of pup in her. I have gave up too early on other dogs, I still regret it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:43 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well guys she has turned it on burning one now! See if she puts him up 1st time she has ever used mouth on ground!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ran him 30 mins and got Lil confused my male dog finished it out and had the meat! She hadn't decided to tree real well yet but hopefully she will come on around only her 4th time to the woods since I have started huntng her

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:49 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ran him 30 mins and got Lil confused my male dog finished it out and had the meat! She hadn't decided to tree real well yet but hopefully she will come on around only her 4th time to the woods since I have started huntng her

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:18 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

thats good to hear,all she needs is hunted and shell be throwing the coal to them coons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:39 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Keep hunting her and don't give up on her. You might have given up on her brother to early there is no set time when the light switch comes on for a pup. Ive seen some get rid of a pup to find out later it trund out to be a great coon dog and couldn't buy it back at all.