CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First coon hound
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Well first I must say this is a mighty fine forum you folks have here. Only been coon hunting a couple times when I was a kid and never with dogs. Going to get my first coon hound tomorrow. She's a black and tan pup. I can't afford one thats already started and all so I'll be doing plenty of reading and talking to folks so we can both get trained up right. Mostly just want to be able to go out with my two boys and have a good time.

Sent from my Milestone X using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: First coon hound
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Welcome, good luck. People on here are usually pretty willing to help with any questions on training

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:39 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Welcome to the hound world. I am in Mississippi also and will help the best I can if your close enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:12 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Welcome. Really like your choice of breeds. I'm a B T guy and all you have to do is post and you'll get answers from all over. My first advice is....patience, patience, patience!

Something special when you train your own, but you are in for a roller-coaster ride of emotions my friend. Buckshot has several training tool links on training. Be wise to check them out.

When you ask for advice, or post a question you are going to get a wide range of opinions from folks. Some advice is sound, others should come with a warning label. Beware of listening too much. You'll soon learn who to listen to, and who not to.

Good Luck with the new pup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

are you sure you want to be a coonhunter? of all the hobbies, why coonhunting? i'm not sure why i do it. surely there must be a better hobby. i think i do it because it tough, it a tradition, it's different and i like messing with dogs. consider backpacking, camping, bicycling, woodcarving, boating, fishing..... good luck in whatever you do. i'm only kidding about all the above, sort of.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I often wonder that myself. What in the world possesses me to be out in the woods, stumbling around in the dark,
Waiting to hear a dog bark? May sound a little silly to some....but I'll do it till I die.
Sent from my C5155 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Amen Brothers! I think sometimes it's a form of male insanity. Maybe from an over-active macho gene or something. Every time I half-way get religion and swear to do better I lose it in the woods at night. It's either cussing the blame hound, (that I love by the way) or the briers, unseen dillo hole I step in, or maybe treeing up one of these Tennessee"Hills" that would pass as mountains in Texas. Was telling friends about my hound treeing up a hill that put me on hands and knees before I got to the tree. One guy spoke up and claimed hills in my area of hunting weren't nothing compared to his. I said , "Well friend, all I can say is, when I finally got to the top of that one I said "Jesus" and a low rumbling voice said "YES".

Good Hunting Boys, and try stop all that cussing, you know you love it!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Got her home yesterday. Named er Bailey. Have to figure out how to get a pic on here.

Stu I'm over in the Vicksburg area and appreciate the offer. Ill be reading everything I can and sure ill be asking at least a couple questions.

As to why I want to do this? I just love the outdoors, dogs, hunting and all. And I know this may be a bit cliche but I musta read where the red fern grows a hundred times when I was a kid and always dreamed of having my own hound and chasing them ringtails.
That little pup already has a howl that putting shivers up my spine. She was chasing the kids around the yard this morning just a bawlin.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Here's a pic of her. May have to try another photo service deal if this one doesn't work out right.
https://plus.google.com/photos/11102815 ... n92Ut878UA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Mongo, you didn't ask but after reading your post I thought of it. Let that pup be a pup. So many try and start a pup when just babies. You'll read about pups running treeing own coon at six months and I'd bet you a dollar to doughnut hole yours won't. You'll start wondering why yours don't and you'll make the comparison mistake. Get to questioning your hound and yourself. Not all, but B T are generally slow starters. Take this puppy stage and enjoy it with your kids. Training isn't all hard work and the bond starts when you start working on little things. Come when called, lead, and in time loading. Generally commands like sit pay dividends when it's wood time. Take the pup out and let it explore in woods. Just have fun with your boys and you'll be ahead when real training starts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks for the advice Larry. That's one thing I'm going have to keep telling myself, not to push er to hard and fast. I figure I'll wait till she's about 8 months for I start working her. Probably take me that long to figure out what I'm doing anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:22 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'm training my first pup an I'll tell you she will make u so proud one night and the very next night make u think y in the hell did I even get this dog but it's all worth it buddy and that's a great lookin pup but I jumped the gun and started Huntin mine at 5 months but last night she jumped on a con and went crazy on it it damn near put a tear in my eye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Welcome and congrats to the club of foolish men, stumbling through the woods when everyone is sleeping. I get asked why I do it, I answer every time with a smile "never know what's going to happen and it surely beats watching tv". I started a pair of pups this fall for my first hounds . First of I recommend reading John wicks books "walk with wick" 1 and 2 . There is so much to be learned in there. Next I will tell you planely, nothing ever goes as planed in coonhunting and you'll learn fast patience is you best friend . This will be tested often. I'm on this forum occasionally so any questions just inbox or post a thread . Till next time gl with that nice hound you got there and never get diss appointed :) cheers from a fellah up north , Adam.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:31 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ya' see, lot's of us considered mentally ill on here to help you! I was born into this coon hunting insanity and Thank God every night when I end up in the woods. My biggest thrill has always been watching the progression from clumsy pup to tree hound. Guess I'm wired different. Have a finished hound and enjoy hunting with one, but it's always been the young hounds learning their trade that turned me on.
Like most I am strictly a pleasure hunter and I do own registered, but fool mostly with grade to keep my cost and selling prices down. Get them started then farm them out to young hunters and friends. To me it's more about the hounds than the hunt. Never understood how a person couldn't love them when they give so much unconditional love back.
You'll do fine with the pup. Too much information on print and this new electronic age not to be able to make it. But, like everyone has told you, you are in for some down times as well. That is unless you come up with a way to teach that pup to read and watch screens. If you do, be smart and keep that secret to yourself!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:22 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Thanks everyone. Definitely plan on getting the walk with wick books. Been doing alot of reading here also in the training tips section. Sounds like i've got a lot to look forward to come this summer. She'll hit 8 months in June and I'll be finished with this year of school in july so I'll be probly try to take her out a few times then and see what happens. No rush though, just letting the kids have fun with her till then.