CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: why such high prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

When I first started reading this post I was understanding. I am a disabled Veteran and living on a limited base income. See the current prices, and being a coon hunter since a kid know a little about price of coon hunting. So I could relate to both sides. Is expensive and you have to be truly bitten by the bug to stick with it. However more I read I had to swing to the side of fair pricing for a hounds worth. You lost me when you continued to complain when several options were given to help you out. I just gave away a fair B T that needed finishing. There's a B T right now listed on this site for 100, and she's registered. What the Hell you want, someone to give you a Gnite for free and help train you to hunt it? Yes we all try to help beginners get started but you have to get up off your backside and help yourself! There are countless hunters out there with GOOD Grade hounds who do not advertise because most want Reg. Instead of posting a complaint about prices try asking for an in-expensive beginner's pleasure hound.

As for not knowing how to train a pup, or young hound, try reading. Too many "How To" books out there to use that excuse!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Well said Larry

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Like it says in the post I'm not looking for a free dog but if I happened to find one that's fine I wil pay for a dog that's not an issuse just don't have a lot of extra and can't afford to pay these high prices all I do is pleasure hunt have never had an interest in comp hunting and don't care about papers on a dog I do get out and have been looking around for something but everything I find is just out of my price range and this isn't about a dog for me its abiut trying to buy one at a reasonable price for a 10 year old boy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

You could also find someone to let you and your son hunt with them and make sure your son is going to like it before spending any money.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well thing is, as you already know or are soon to find out, your boy won't really care how many coon you shoot. Get any old mut that's free or cheap that will almost tree a coon and not leave the country. Most likely your son will still love that dog an still love you and will be eager to hunt and just be out there with you!! I take my boy with me every time and we don't have world champs but they will tree an generally have a coon. I got one dog I paid for,$250 dollars. The others are all freebies that people couldn't stand any more. They hunt good sometimes sometimes they don't!!
Since your not comp hunting and don't care about papers,
IT AINT ABOUT THE DOG
Who cares just get on Craigslist find a cheap hound that isn't mean an go hunting.
Hell load your kid up an spend 6 months riding all over looking at dogs tell the owners what your up to an they'll take you hunting. When ya find an ol worn out dog get it. Or don't fact is the boy will have a good time just riding along looking, not to mention all the other things your gonna be ( shopping) for. Guns, lights, boots 22 shells their like finding the holy grail.
Pleasure hunting is just that, pleasure! Take the kid hunting. It don't matter what for. Come to my place I'll take ya and I got a pup I'll give you to take back with ya,. It's a racket buddy big name dogs are big money but the average joe don't need them. They just need a dog and a coon to run from it. It's only sniffin an barkin.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:36 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

why such high prices??? i dont sell dogs first off but if i did sell anything on the place people would laugh at the price i would put on any dog.

i have young family, house mortage, all the regular bills. money is always tight. hunt all my dogs a lot, have good hunting gear from transportation to tracking equipment and lights ect... dogfood, wormer, other shots it adds up quick. any dog i have that makes the cut over a year old and doing good isnt leaving and if did would cost some bucks. the older dogs that you spend thousands of hours with and are hunting machines and family buddies no way in hell would go anywhere.

all that above isnt even considering all the time in the woods away from family, gas money, sleepless nites that sure affect work the next day, ect.....

i hear it all the time someone wants a cheap turn key dog to take the kids hunting and you may find it but rarely. if you wanna teach the kids something start a pup from scratch go through all the headaches, the ups, and downs and in the end will have something you appreciate. may sound crazy but im a puppy guy and every dog on my place raised and watched become hound dogs.

on the other hand though there are plenty of hunting age dogs started that get either messed up or just need a change of zip code or game pursued and make nice dogs quick and for cheap price.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:30 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I no where I live I see these young guys that wont a good coon dogs for a cheap price and they do buy dogs but when asked how many coon they tree and find its less that 50 % well Im not feeding a dog like that so you do get what you pay for so if you wont a cheap dog there out there for 400.00 - 500.00 atleast where I live I know of at least a half a dozen that fits thise type of dog. these guys are always reselling looking for a better dog for the same price that's all that type dog will every be worth. so keep looking or change how much you think a dogs worth. I would think if you trained a few coon dogs you would change your mind on what the dogs would be worth to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:48 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Seems like at least once a month someone gets on here complains about the prices of what dogs are going for. Coonhounds are much cheaper then a lot of other breeds, and a top coon dog is often times much cheaper then a top bird dog and a hell of a lot cheaper then a top show dog. These are facts. If you can't understand why a dog costs as much as it does, don't buy it. Coon hunting like most other hobbies often become a money pit. Ever own a boat? If you can't afford a hobby, go find a second job, and quit your complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:18 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

If you don't like the complaints dont read them. And for your information I do have a second job. Therd are people out there that aren't willing to go broke to support a hobby and spend every dime they have on dogs or equipment for a hobby and I have had boats in the past I don't mind spending some money to have fun and enjoy something just nit gonna go broke doing it

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:02 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
Seems like at least once a month someone gets on here complains about the prices of what dogs are going for. Coonhounds are much cheaper then a lot of other breeds, and a top coon dog is often times much cheaper then a top bird dog and a hell of a lot cheaper then a top show dog. These are facts. If you can't understand why a dog costs as much as it does, don't buy it. Coon hunting like most other hobbies often become a money pit. Ever own a boat? If you can't afford a hobby, go find a second job, and quit your complaining.

Agreed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:36 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

No sense answering this post guys. All this guy wants to do is whine and cry. Nothing can be said to help such folks. Plays that 10 year old like a violin. I have a 13 yo grandson and he has his own and I have mine in the kennel. I didn't give him his, he earned it over two summers cutting lawns. More you post back more he likes it. Save your advice for someone who really wants it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:54 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yet again more smart ##*%* comments that aren't needed. Its hard to find much a 10 year old can do around this area like cutting lawns most people around me either do it their self or have some fancy company to do it. If some people would get there head out of there ##*%* and pay attention they would see where it says I don't have a problem spending money for a dog but when something is not affordable thenyou can't get it there have been a few that have offeres good ideas but some people just want to criticize other people like me that don't make a lot of money and want to invole others in something that should be enjoyable for just about everyone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:13 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

The below quote was in one my of post in this thread.

Buckshot wrote:
What's so hard about SAVING UP? Put back some money each month. Encourage your son to do chores that you will pay him to help earn money for a dog?

Msmith82, have you ever tried saving some money back?

When I was a kid, my folks would make me save up if there was something expensive I wanted...to this day, I still do it.

Back earlier this year, there was 2 big sporting events out of town I attended. With a family of 5, I saved some "fun" money to be able to do it. By saving up, I was able to pay for the event tickets, hotels for a couple nights in each city, food, gas, local attractions, and etc....One of the sporting events, my middle son also attended.

I just know saving money has sure made things I wanted more affordable...........Just an idea. Where there is a will, there is a way.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:38 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot wrote:
The below quote was in one my of post in this thread.

Buckshot wrote:
What's so hard about SAVING UP? Put back some money each month. Encourage your son to do chores that you will pay him to help earn money for a dog?

Msmith82, have you ever tried saving some money back?

When I was a kid, my folks would make me save up if there was something expensive I wanted...to this day, I still do it.

Back earlier this year, there was 2 big sporting events out of town I attended. With a family of 5, I saved some "fun" money to be able to do it. By saving up, I was able to pay for the event tickets, hotels for a couple nights in each city, food, gas, local attractions, and etc....One of the sporting events, my middle son also attended.

I just know saving money has sure made things I wanted more affordable...........Just an idea. Where there is a will, there is a way.

I was reading stuff on this site two years ago and saved up and just got my first coondogs last may...... it took me a while since I had my first son Sawyer and made sure he was takeen care of first but it was well worth it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:10 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Buy a standard ukc pup. Keep track of every penny you spend on it. Vet bills, feed bills, time training,flea and tick prevention, dog house etc. Keep track and I garuntee you will be well over a 1000. That's just 1 year. Selling a hound for 2000 after 2 or 3 years of training, is barely breaking even. Hound prices are dirt cheap.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next