CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: why such high prices
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:33 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Spoken like a person who doesn't know anything about working or training a dog. No dog is worth 1,000$. Thanks for the laugh. Why don't you pick up a dog train it to hunt. I'll be happy to buy it for 250 from ya.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:37 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i didnt ask for any smart comments i said that was my opinon never once did i say a dog isnt worth 1000 sid it was my opinon please read what i says before you open your mouth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Well, I guess your opinion is rather ill-informed. Low information opinion I believe they call it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

ill informed or not it is an opinon every body has one if you dont like it you dont have to comment on it i think there is a lot better things to buy for 1000 than a dog.when you have a family they are the main concern for me not a dog but the dogs i do have will eat before i do and so will my kids i have to deal with hounds man around here that wanna talk crap and offer no help thats about what im getting here

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:55 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I got my top hound given to me from a post on this site. The guy didnt have time to train her. She wasnt a great dog then tho. It took hours of work to show her potential. I got another on craigslist fo $50 and a nite lite. She needed some work but after a few months working her she is a stay put hard tree dog. Not every cheap dog will turn out. I got a couple others that didnt make it.
What i am saying is u can find started dogs that people didnt have time for. That worked for me
Sent from my SCH-S738C using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:02 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Msmith82 wrote:
dont know why i even ask the question beacuse nobody has yet to see the point of this. there has never and will never be a dog that is worth 1000 in my opinon

That right there is the keyword opinon. That is your opinion.

If you read that article from 1967 above, it mentions a dog back then being sold for $1000. Article also mentioned that going price was $100 - $1000 in 1967, here we are in 2013 and are you still expecting to pay 1967's prices?

You have to understand that you have chosen to take up a hobby that these prices on dogs have been going on probably before you were born. Just because your opinion is that there is not a dog worth $1000, doesn't mean it's going to change.

A seller is not going to accommodate you on the price because your opinion of the worth of dogs.......He moves on to the next buyer.

Perhaps it's you that is not getting the point.

Msmith82 wrote:
im still trying to figure out why people cant help get kids involved in this sport by not charging the high prices.

People do............Folks give kids free dogs. Folks give kids discounted dogs. PKC even runs a program (at least they use to) that gave away pups to youth.

Folks also have been burned many times with Daddy's saying their looking for a discounted or free dog for their son only to see that dog advertised on another forum for sale.

A few years back, I had a litter of 6 pups. Kept one, sold 3, and gave 2 away to youth hunters.

What's so hard about SAVING UP? Put back some money each month. Encourage your son to do chores that you will pay him to help earn money for a dog?

That is the problem, too many people want stuff for cheap because their opinion is that is price not worth/over rated it or don't have the money or to buy it...........If it is not worth it/over rated or can not afford it, find another hobby, coon hunting is not the only thing that will keep kids out of trouble.

You say you don't want a pup or started dog because he might lose interest........Heck he may lose interest with a finished dog. With kids there is no telling what their interest will become as their developing and learning new things (as a father of 3 boys, I am speaking from experience).

From the sounds of it, think you may have taken up the wrong hobby.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I understand both sides. I won't pay more than 500 for a dog either because all I do is pleasure hunt as often as I can. I don't care about grnitech or world or whatever. If it tracks and trees its for me. But some or maybe even most of the guys on here are comp hunters and do put in a great deal of time and money into their dogs so they want more in the end rightfully imo. I am just starting out also, bought a little Redbone pup. 100 pup but with plenty of time spent with her and reading on here asking questions and getting much appreciated answers from some helpful individuals she is coming along nicely. Took her out last night for opener and she is still learning but got some fur in her mouth. I think something turned on inside her when that happened and only the future will tell what she'll make. BUT cheap pup, time and patience I think is paying off. I think your son would do good to grow into the sport with a pup if you have a little time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:09 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Msmith82, you posted an ad 2 weeks ago for this dog for sell on here:

Quote:
I have a male walker he's a grade dog. Will open on track but lacks some when treeing needs more shot out to him he's a good dog tried to run trash once and hasn't done it since he is an independent dog and like to hunt just needs more time than I have to put in him ill let him go for 100 have a couple other dogs I'm letting go would make a package deal on them have a walker mix pup and a2 yo with papers let me know if your interested

If he just needs more coon shot out to him as you advertised, then why not keep hunting him and then you have a dog for your boy. Take your boy with you hunting with him. Finish the dog out together.

Now you mentioned, you do not have the time. How much do you hunt during the week? If he only needs a few coon shot out to him and you do not have time to do that, then are you going to have time for a finished hound?

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:16 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Msmith82. U said u were new to coon hunting if u r new then u don't know the price of good dogs,sorry dogs, and ok dogs everyone that's been coon hunting for years do if u think no dog is worth 1000 dollars then u have no clue what u r talking about. There are pups sold for over 1000 dollars at 6 weeks old. The people on here are trying to help u and tell u what dogs are worth. Here is an example u build a house for 300,000 dollars some one comes up to u and says ill give you 200,000 dollars for it. Now do u take it or wait another week for someone to pay you the 300,000. If u have never coon hunted amd u r asking for advice but saying we r wrong then something isn't right.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

The reason I won't give another dog to a youth or anybody else is bc I have had 2 litters of dogs amd have 2 in each litter to youths amd only one of the dogs made it the others stayed in the pen and still are but all the other dogs have made dogs some better than others but they all tree except the 3 others I have away. When I have pups I want them to go to people that will hunt them and give them a chance and I had a man I had knows for 6 years wanted a dog so I sold him a ok dog I bought for I think 600 amd then put a lot of time in him and sold him to him for 300 to help someone out and talked to the man 3 weeks later and asked him about the dog and he said I don't have time to hunt him and sold him for 700. If u have had anything like that happen to you will understand y a lot of people don't want to help people get started anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:04 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

The prices are relative to the dogs ability. Look in the crossbred section for cheap dogs that may or may not work out.

Sent from my XT1080 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

i only hunt one night a week mainly to stay home with both my children the youngest is four. the only place i have to run m dogs is a little over a half hour one way. with kids in school i dont wanna take them during the week so i know they are ready for the next day. like i said i dont mind paying for a dog and i something would happen and my son didnt wanna hunt anymore if the dog was to go somewhere who ever it came from would be the firat person contacted if it was free it wouldnt be sold if the previous owner didnt want it back it would go for what i have in it

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:39 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

nc curhunter i havent seen much in the reasonable price range for a pup trainer i would love to find something i could afford but havent yet

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:34 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Where r u located at. Bc most pup trainers around here are from 8-12 years old and u can find one easily for 200-600

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:42 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I'm in claremont don't know many people that hunt around here had found a ntch female for a hell of a deal but got gone before I could come up with the cash

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next