CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:59 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Just wondering how many coons do yall consider a good nite ? any nite coon hunting to me is a good one compared to sitting at work wishing i had my hound in the woods. I was just curious on the numbers like best nite u ever had numbers without all of them coming from one tree iv had a six coon nite before never will forget that nite

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Honestly for me it's not the amount of coons that make it a good night if the dogs tree several its great
What makes a good night for me is that when I unsnap that lead the dogs hit a track, work it, then tree with the meat and the end of that drop. That being said the most I've ever treed in one tree is 4. I've treed 2 at a time on several different occasions. But more often then not if I get one or two at the end of each night and the dogs do well then I consider it a great night. But then again I don't hunt with world champions just what I can afford and enjoy

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:50 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Why are numbers so important? It's the being out there with the hounds. Now if you are a hide hunter and the coons in your area are plentiful I can understand, but most of us only hunt for pleasure so why kill every coon we tree? Been nights I don't shoot one out. If a young dog I'll put one out on him/her but mature finished hounds don't need to taste fur to be happy.

That said, I have thinned out coon populations on land owners request.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree i love to be in the woods with my hounds hearing them run i never said i killed every coon we treed but i do try to find them in the tree numbers are not important to me i was just curious on how many yall tree on them good nites

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:07 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I have the most fun when the dogs work a really cold track. I love hearing them do the math and get hotter and hotter. No matter how long it takes em to tree it. I love watching the coon take them up and around and through the swamps playing his games. I'll happily take 1 good HONEST coon a night. Watching a dog work and improve is more rewarding than 100 in a night in my opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:25 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Its not about the numbers with me its about each track and each tree how well the dogs performed. Im not a hide hunter verey seldom do I ever kill a coon. I just enjoy the woods and dogs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

I'm just thankful for one when the leaves are on they just don't want to look

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Frost wrote:
I'm just thankful for one when the leaves are on they just don't want to look

Amen to that 2!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:59 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

T Crump wrote:
Its not about the numbers with me its about each track and each tree how well the dogs performed. Im not a hide hunter verey seldom do I ever kill a coon. I just enjoy the woods and dogs.

Same way with me. I got to kill every coon my dogs trees according to my very good friend who runs the place I have permission to hunt, who is a wildlife biologist. HOH and I am also a Biologist as declared as my title by both the USDA ( for yal'll ferkheads ) one of us are stupidity oriented . And Maybe a biologist hire by the DOD department of Defence) LOL but they had to take a break last week and take a hijinx vacation , government paid ,to Nicawagra or else lose their time in Grade what with the Governmenment ShutDown. And all that POLITICAL stupidity that the Republicsans flat refuse to believe in the Communistics system. They are gona teach a firm and everlasting lesson to.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:33 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

One is a great night when a pup turns it on for the first time, that is Special. Two or three around here is normal with a seasoned hound. But to me It's just hearing the hounds go.

Sarge

Take the next generation hound hunting they are our future. hound hunting since 1973

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:08 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Yes I don't kill many but the reason is I start a lot of pups like right now im working 7 young Mt curs and 1 young hound. so I leave most of my training coons. but hope thise summer to hunt lots of corn fields on the red river for the farmers. they will wont them killed. did not have all thise corn when I was a kid to hunt young dogs in. it was cotton when I was young but there is literley thousands after thousands of ac. of corn now so I think thise summer ill take advantage.I have three young guys that are hunting with me now they really seem to enjoy the sport. If you can take a youg - en do so I find that most do wont to learn about our sport and most non hunting parents will let them go.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:03 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

only way to keep the sport going is numbers. my son is 17. we have taken all his friends at one time or another and a few keep coming back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If you average 1 coon per night you have a pretty good dog.For the average hunter you will tree 30-50 coon per kill season..I know a lot of guys that try to kill 100 every yr...We hunt yr round so we don't try and kill a lot of coon.We will take the ones that make long hard tracks for the dogs. We reward the dogs for a good job done. If they don't tree they don't get ahold of the coon.. We never take more than 1 coon out of the tree ...

Nite Ch Nite Time Cheat
Nite Ch Goose Creek Little Tina (1 w GN)
Ch Wild Rivers Indiana ShowQueen
Wild Rivers Machine Gun Kelly
Wild Rivers Stylish Showgirl (Tide X Queen)
English
Gr Ch Nite Ch 'pr' Twin CK Lady
Wild Rivers Main Street Hooker
Black n Tan
Nite Ch 'pr' Black River Boy (3 w to Grand)
Ch Wild Rivers Whole Lotta Rosie
Wild Rivers Black Pearl

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:53 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Any night the the hounds do it right, whether you tree 1 or 10... is a good night...
but I say a good night is when you come home with all the hounds safe and sound!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:49 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Tonight was the best night I've had all year and for that matter the last 4 yrs. I got permission to hunt new ground and It was worth going there. Made 4 trees and saw 6 in 2 hours. But its not the numbers that count its hearing your dog work a track and tree. When your dog does it right there's no better feeling.