CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Same old...same old
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:08 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

I'm lucky enough to have hunting grounds close to home and they r decent places to hunt. But do you ever get tired of hunting the same old places or do you all try to go somewhere different quite often? My dogs no the places as well as I do..lol

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject: Re: Same old...same old
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:56 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yes, it does get tiring. Ive hunted 23 nights in a row right now and hit a bunch of the same spots multiple times. Getting new land to hunt is very time consuming but can be very rewarding. The way i look at it, if you have spots where you know your safe at, its fun when you dont have to worry.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:41 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Yea I agree with the "worry" factor.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Along that lines does it hurt a dogs training to tree the same coon multiple times.

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:38 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Got a good size patch of woods right out my back door. The coons and my hound know each other so well when my hound opens the two run toward each other! LOL Afraid to shoot one out. Hound would more than likely hold it against me.

Hunting grounds are hard to find. Too many part-timers abusing fences and woods/fields. Being retired I try to give back by checking in with land owners to see if they might need a hand doing this or that. I cut out a fence line for a guy and got exclusive rights, helped an elderly gentleman repair his barn. That way when I approach a new land owner I have references. Helps greatly!

Good Hunting Boys!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:52 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Maximus13 wrote:
Along that lines does it hurt a dogs training to tree the same coon multiple times.

lol,, I googled dogs scent locking ability and got my own answer I posted on another site 2 yrs ago...
"all coon do not smell the same. just like people do not all smell the same. that is why a man tracking dog can track one person through a crowd of people and stay on that same persons track. dogs have a scent locking ability enabling them to do that.
dogs hunting in thick coon learn to use and hone their scent locking ability to do the same thing".

so I guess my answer would be no it wont hurt, but I wouldn't use the exact same coon every time and only that one coon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:19 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
Maximus13 wrote:

lol,, I googled dogs scent locking ability and got my own answer I posted on another site 2 yrs ago...
"all coon do not smell the same. just like people do not all smell the same. that is why a man tracking dog can track one person through a crowd of people and stay on that same persons track. dogs have a scent locking ability enabling them to do that.
dogs hunting in thick coon learn to use and hone their scent locking ability to do the same thing".

so I guess my answer would be no it wont hurt, but I wouldn't use the exact same coon every time and only that one coon.
Now this has got me to thinking! It might sound a little odd but I have a female that seems to only tree boar coon. What do you think toe cutter?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:54 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

i have had some guys from north Georgia up and hunt and when you can turn a dog in a cornfield once it strikes you see several coon come out and the dog takes one track and trees the coon, those guys asked me how the dog could single just one out. i have had dogs here from north georgia and texas and they would stand on their head in thick coon. i just don't think they had ever had to use their scent locking ability hunting in thin coon where they came from. the best i saw them look was in the dead of winter when the coon were few and far between.
i ask a man that use to be on this site and he trained man tracking dogs and hunted cat with hounds about it and he explain the scent locking ability in dogs and how they train the tracking dogs. most of it was working for ability to lock on one persons scent and track that one person through and around other people. to me it only makes sense that a hound here in thick coon would have to develop that too. but i don't know for sure. scent is i think formed or created from skin cells we drop and that's what dogs track. as far as i know or think every living thing drops skin , cells, or something from their bodies creating a scent trail that a dog tracks...dang, now i have to google that to see what comes up about it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:37 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
i have had some guys from north Georgia up and hunt and when you can turn a dog in a cornfield once it strikes you see several coon come out and the dog takes one track and trees the coon, those guys asked me how the dog could single just one out. i have had dogs here from north georgia and texas and they would stand on their head in thick coon. i just don't think they had ever had to use their scent locking ability hunting in thin coon where they came from. the best i saw them look was in the dead of winter when the coon were few and far between.
i ask a man that use to be on this site and he trained man tracking dogs and hunted cat with hounds about it and he explain the scent locking ability in dogs and how they train the tracking dogs. most of it was working for ability to lock on one persons scent and track that one person through and around other people. to me it only makes sense that a hound here in thick coon would have to develop that too. but i don't know for sure. scent is i think formed or created from skin cells we drop and that's what dogs track. as far as i know or think every living thing drops skin , cells, or something from their bodies creating a scent trail that a dog tracks...dang, now i have to google that to see what comes up about it.

oh no, its the footprint they smell.... LMAO. get in that argument least once a week!

nice pic of you and your best bootick randy!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:44 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

if you ever get a chance put your dog on a snow track or walk out track the dog ran in snow. pretty cool how far to one side the dog can be while burning track even on long race. dang hounds are amazing critters when have the tools and trained the right way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:32 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Matt, I think you might know the man that explained the scent locking deal to me.. Wally aka LCK 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

toe cutter wrote:
Matt, I think you might know the man that explained the scent locking deal to me.. Wally aka LCK 8)

you got it, i know what dogs do by walking tracks out in snow and hunting a ton but wally explains stuff very well. that man knows dogs and can relate to people. not just hounds all dogs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:53 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I think hunting the same area more than once helps a dog to gain range. My experience is that a coon that has been treed a few times will run more than a fresh one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

lol, i believe the coons know the sound of my truck in the woods i have hunted for so many yrs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:00 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Lol