Finished 2yrs to 5 yrs $1,500 -$2,000 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
more 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
less 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 39
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:52 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

First off I don't want what you have heard of dogs selling for. Just actual prices that you get or buy one for. Not talking all grand and SS and all that stuff. I am talking about a nice pup all the way through. Started means running with old dog or by itself and had a few coons., might be a little trashy. Well started means runs and trees and can do it by itself but struggles some and not trashy and handles good no bad habits, keeps improving. Finished is a hound that won't be swayed to chase deer even if anther dog starts it, This is the kind of dog you can expect to go out and tree coons with every night. Might even take on a comp hunt and not be embarrassed and could win it's share.
Not talking about the crazy prices we hear about someplace else - actual prices you know about.

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:07 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I sold a well bred finished 2 year old male Bluetick for $2500. Now Im handling him for his owner.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

DrBradHenson wrote:
I sold a well bred finished 2 year old male Bluetick for $2500. Now Im handling him for his owner.

Thanks . That's why I am asking is because my circle is very limited. I only know of about 5 Finished, 6 well started and 4 started dogs being sold since the economy went south afew years ago. Do you think having him in hunts helped get a good price versus your same dog not being in comp hunts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

He had never been in a hunt when he sold. He sold for a good price because of references from guys who have hunted with him who know great dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:47 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

DrBradHenson wrote:
He had never been in a hunt when he sold. He sold for a good price because of references from guys who have hunted with him who know great dogs.

There is nothing like that good word of mouth.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:37 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

500 pup price, 1000 well started, 2000 finished, 2500+ ntch +

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

Maximus13 wrote:
500 pup price, 1000 well started, 2000 finished, 2500+ ntch +

Sent from my Desire HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Again, I am not asking about a pup off the current World Camp and SS Just a regular good honest dog easy to train.
How much do you think NtCh adds to the price of the same dog if he was just used as a coondog?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Even a paperless pup trainer, if it is straight, good with pups & has a balanced nose/treeing ability is worth $750-$1000 here.

There are a lot of dogs that are decent, but not great that can be bought for around $300-$500.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:59 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

DrBradHenson wrote:
Even a paperless pup trainer, if it is straight, good with pups & has a balanced nose/treeing ability is worth $750-$1000 here.

There are a lot of dogs that are decent, but not great that can be bought for around $300-$500.

What is your definition of pup trainer? My definition is the best and fastest dog in my pack that is allowed to train my pups , not one of the "over the hill gang".
Say the dog was paperless as you say and ballanced. for around $1,000 v. a finished dog by my definition 2 to 5 years old that you can trust for as you say $300 -$500 ?? If I got it close to thinking right in your neck of the woods you can buy a two hundred dollar pup and train it for afew years and it just makes a coondog you can count on and sell it for $300.???? I was not talking about a pup off a World Champ but I am talking about a 4 year old finished coondog night after night. Especially a $300 trained and finished dog. Why in the H would any body fantasize about buying a $200 pup if that was the case? The pup most likrly by the odds might even be a cull at six months and you can get him for $300 when he is 3? Doc, think about the dog feed and Ivermeck and don't even consider you working for one penny an hour training. I think you must be talking about a cull for whatever reason to get sold for $300 as a finished dog. But tht is why I am asking. Seems like folks would rather spend more on a fantasy than an honest reality.

Last edited by 1molatenite on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:12 am 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

around here a 3 to 5 hundred dollar dog aint much good for nothing from what ive seen,unless you just want a excuse to get away from the house.a lot of the ones ive hunted with were me to dogs at best, and the ones that wasnt me toers would run a deer till the cows come home.iam sure theres been good dogs sold for that price i just havent seen any,unless we go back to the 1960s.i have a young cur that i paid 100 bucks for last year which is cheap for around here,but the guy i got him from just wanted one pup so he sold the rest cheap so he could get rid of them. the pup is reg. which really dont mean much to me,i just wanted a pup out of 2 real coon dogs.it was the best 100 dollars ive ever spent on a pup.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:32 am 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

While we are fantasizing, just yesterday I took 4 dogs to a friend of mine to keep and hunt just like they were his own. Two of them I would sell for my price which they are fine dogs with no problems and a pleasure to hunt. The other two are just NOT for sale . Some body would have to have way yonder more money than they got sense and I might be offended with an offer less than 10 K . They just are not for sale. I would give them to my buddy before I would sell them. If a buyer can fantasize I recon an owner can too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Hey guys, when I said dogs that are "decent but not great" for 300-500 Im talking about dogs that will tree a coon occasionally, not every drop, and usually have a significant flaw. Weak mouth, hunt too close, Ill, spay or neutered, bad tree dog, doesn't stay treed well... Not necessarily a cull, but just decent not great.

These dogs are ok. But I wouldn't want to have to rely on one by itself on a regular basis.

I don't keep this kind if dog myself. But lots of guys, teens, occasional hunters have these 300-500
Dogs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

DrBradHenson wrote:
Hey guys, when I said dogs that are "decent but not great" for 300-500 Im talking about dogs that will tree a coon occasionally, not every drop, and usually have a significant flaw. Weak mouth, hunt too close, Ill, spay or neutered, bad tree dog, doesn't stay treed well... Not necessarily a cull, but just decent not great.

These dogs are ok. But I wouldn't want to have to rely on one by itself on a regular basis.

I don't keep this kind if dog myself. But lots of guys, teens, occasional hunters have these 300-500
Dogs.Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Thanks for clearing that up. I wouldn't keep that kind either. In fact I think I would have figured that was what he was going to be back in the Early Started phase and got rid of it then. The Finished dog I am talking about I defined up in the pole question.

Last edited by 1molatenite on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:37 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

THE BEST DOG I EVER BOUGHT I GIVE $200 FOR HIM
TAKE HIM ANY NIGHT OF THE WEEK AND YOULL TREE COONS
WALK HUNT,ROAD HUNT,TURN HIM LOOSE OFF THE TAIL GATE,ALONE OR WITH COMPANY. IT DIDNT MATTER TO HIM. MY OTHER 3 I GAVE A TOTAL OF $800 FOR THEM AND THE BEST ONE OUT OF THEM NOW IS THE ONE I GIVE $100 For. So I don't believe ya have to pay high dollar for a good coon dog. because I have 3 that says other wise. the 4 best dogs ive ever owned I payed less then what some ppl pay for one.

'PR' ROCKEY RIVER DUKE (WALKER)
__________PRESENT_________________
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER KATIE (WALKER)
'PR' ROCKEY RIVER BLACK JACK ATK (WALKER)
'PR' STACK'EM UP JILL (REDTICK)
LIFE TIME MEMBER OF THE FFA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:51 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

SHARPS CHAPEL COONHUNTER wrote:
THE BEST DOG I EVER BOUGHT I GIVE $200 FOR HIM
TAKE HIM ANY NIGHT OF THE WEEK AND YOULL TREE COONS
WALK HUNT,ROAD HUNT,TURN HIM LOOSE OFF THE TAIL GATE,ALONE OR WITH COMPANY. IT DIDNT MATTER TO HIM. MY OTHER 3 I GAVE A TOTAL OF $800 FOR THEM AND THE BEST ONE OUT OF THEM NOW IS THE ONE I GIVE $100 For. So I don't believe ya have to pay high dollar for a good coon dog. because I have 3 that says other wise. the 4 best dogs ive ever owned I payed less then what some ppl pay for one.

I'm kind of like you in that the going price of the brand of dog I know I want is $200 around here as a weenling pup. I know enough about the brand I hunt that if it was the first day of the season and i could get a nine month old pup for the same moneyready to start today, i'd take the little pup. Sounds like by what you said you know what you want and you are willing to bide your time and find it at a deal. The absolute most I have ever paid for a dog was $600 and that was because the old man hunting buddy needed money and I had some at the time and he loved her so I bought her and she did not work out so I gave her back to him. But you will likely agree those are some unusual situations. But lets talk about the value of a dog in your area that meets the definitions of the averages ( you know , like the Dow Jones Stock Industrial prices for hog bellies ) , I realize that a slice of home cured bacon organicly grown on mountain chestnuts may fetch Quite a price in Knew Yark City, I am just questiong you on the average price of a dog that is started and expected to get better and better pretty quick or the price of a finished coondog that is 3 to 5 years old that you have no reason to expect might go crazy and bachward' and go chacing off after trash. Im talking a bout a good dog that won't cause you grief and heartburn that you would like to hunt by yourself and show off to your buddy kind of a dog.