CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:31 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

You people who post a dog for sale because you do not have time but in other threads interested in dogs others are selling kill me.

These are the the type of sellers I avoid. When I see them advetising a dog for sale or trade because they do not have time to mess with it but also posting looking for a dog or posting to others they are interested is a major red flag.

Makes me wonder if the dog they have for sell is a cull dog is the reason they do not have time, but other threads show they do have time.

Another thing kills me is someone looking for a started dog for a youth but also advertising a started dog for sale -- UMM, there you go, you already have a started dog for the youth.

But is the started dog you are advertising a cull and why it won't work for the youth?????

Again, these are the type of sellers I avoid.

Another is the dog traders. Some users consistantly have all different kinds of breeds for sale at any given time - Some of them must have found the coon dog rainbow bucket of gold as they consistantly have "real coondogs" for sale all the time.

Once again, these are the type of sellers I avoid.

Here is a tip to the forum users, when you see an ad your interested in, look at the sellers profile and view all of the seller's post. You can learn alot about the seller by viewing their post history and can see if they are like the examples I posted above -- Do this here and any other forum where dogs are for sale..

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:27 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Thank you!!! and the truth is the truth!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:38 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I took notice to that buckshot.i learned a lot since i joined this site.do your home work,an be careful.i,have only seen a handful or so of people that make any sense to me. JMO :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:26 am 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Couldn't agree more, it often seems that 90% of the posts outside of young puppies, are complete B.S. This really is a shame. Y people would want to sell a crap dog to a new comer to the sport is beyond me. The worst part is this seems to be the mindset of the community, as if the new guys don't deserve a gd dog the first time around. That they should be ripped off, just as they once were as greenhorns. This issues needs to be addressed, and brought to the fore front imo. It's not fun trying to get into a sport, knowing there is a giant bullseye on your back.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

way to call 'em out!! Selling a no good dog to a first time coon/bear/cat hunter is a great way to kill the awesome sport that we all enjoy. Lets keep passing on the heritage of hound hunting to young generations by being HONEST about the hounds. If they are no good just give them away to a family that wants a free dog...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:57 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Exactly my thoughts Buckshot. I dont understand some people who try to b.s there way through life. All it does is hurts the kind folk or people with morals. I dealt with buying my two pups from breeders in the 500km zone so i could see the parents hunt, therefore ensuring that if my pups dont turn out to be great hounds i know i messed up.
Way to call them out sir.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:19 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

There are guys all over the place that will screw you just to make up for the dollar they foolishly spent. Many depend on the fact that they will probably never see this person again, so it doesn't matter to them if their word isn't worth spit.

On the other hand, people need to quit being so gullible and read between the lines a little bit. Why would some one have two prices for their hound? They will list one price, and then another for "under the tree." The answer is simple; like the old folks used to say, "that dog don't hunt." Anybody selling a dog worth its feed would gladly go out hunting with a prospective hunter, but one that doesn't want you to see the dog in the woods would say crap like this so you won't look at it.

"Needs a few more shot out to it"= good excuse for the lack of training, as if shooting coon has anything to do with tracking and treeing.

"Need more kennel space"= for what? This dog doesn't hunt so I need to make room for one that will.

"Such and such bred," followed by an excuse for why the pedigree isn't listed= This is a popular bloodline, even though only one grand parent is of that lineage

I would shy away from anyone that doesn't advertise the price, pedigree, picture, and willing to go hunting before purchase. Any excuse to not do any of those four things is complete and udder BS that a person should just stay clear of if they don't want a headache.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:09 pm 
IP:
I agree with all of what has been said here, and being new to the sport, I was really lucky to find a guy on the board who sold me a couple of really good english dogs. He let me hunt them prior to purchasing and everything he said was spot on with the dogs. I have hunted them several times since then, and they are a lot of fun. He has even contacted me several times to make sure the dogs are still doing as advertised. I'd imagine hunting with "not so good" dogs would not be a good time. I am new and I hope the guys on the forum will have a little mercy on me when I have questions, because I am here to learn and have a good time. Thanks to everyone I have come in contact with so far.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:46 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Coon hunting was passed down to me from my dad and stepdad both of which are straight forward honest men. Which makes me glad that i stumbled across this group of guys. I agree with all of this. Thanks for speaking out

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:20 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with all of you guys. I was a guy who used to do that kind of thing thinking it was what everyone else was doing so it was ok but I realize that I really want to improve the sport and these dogs should not be pushed onto others because we dont want them. Another part of this issue is the breeding of dogs today. Alot of people breed any dog they can including females who havent even been in the woods in their lives just because of who her parents are they automatically think the pups will be good. I think both parents should prove themselves to be bred.

-CH 'PR' Ernst's Lacey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

cant agree more. me and my son are new comers to the sport. and being ignorant to the b.s. we got a couple dogs that r good pets but thats it. im keeping them any way. in hopes they will show interest. i cant stand a lier and thats what i delt with. the other week a good friend of mine gave me a 10 year old redtic she is doing it like he said she would. so if all goes well she can show the younger dogs what its all about. happy hunting guys

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I agree with this post and would also like to caution people on buying hounds even when not posted on a forum. I was contacted by a gentleman about a finished Black and Tan and when I went out there, he had about 20 hounds, of all different breeds and age. He tried to sell me a 10 year old black and tan with no voice for $800. I talked him down to $250, but wanted to try him out first. The guy reluctantly agreed. The dog wasn't worth a handshake and I returned him. I will never deal with that person again. It is always important for a person to look around and pay attention to where they are looking at hounds. You don't have to buy the first hound you see, and oftentimes it is better if you wait. Much of this is probably already on the site somewhere, but I just thought I would emphasize it some more...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:33 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

Ive been looking for several months and still have not found what I am looking for, I think part of that is the area I am located, and am limited to dogs in PA,MD, and WV.

But I do think I have found some guide lines to go by.

The first thing I do after finding an add I may be interested in is to search previous posts, if I see that he has sold a lot of dogs, I move on.

Second thing for is honesty, if I feel that the person is really trying to sell the dog or talk the dog up, I move on. If the seller isn't saying anything negative about the dog, then he or she isn't usually being honest, because there has to be reason they chose this dog out of the others they own, to sell this one.

Finally after reading hours of adds, I've found there is a lingo, to be learned, for instance if they say the dog can be a little mean around the tree it probably means, the dog is MEAN around the tree.

I always try to keep in mind there a lot more not so good coon dogs then good ones and more often not the dog your interested in is not a good coon dog or it would not be for sale.

Just some thoughts hope this helps anyone newer to sport. I also am new and am sure a year from now, I may have an even better and or different perspective.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:25 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here is another on to add to my original post above.

Those "SELLING OUT" in one thread yet looking for a dog in another thread.

Why would someone post that they are selling out and then post in another ad about buying or trading someone for a dog? Thought they were selling out?????

And I am not talking about selling out to switch breeds - I am talking about the breed they are selling out is the same breed their other ads are looking for a dog.

Another type of sellers I avoid.

Profile  WWW
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:22 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot, you hit it right. I have been burned by some that would lie in a heart beat. Just a thought for the buyer most every time that I was burned was on the heels of a loss of a good houng ether by age or accident and you think , I'm without a coonhound.