CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should I hunt this dog for ______ before I complain?
Just 2 times 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
More than 2 times 91%  91%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:34 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Do ya'll really think a dog doing no more than this, is all-the-sudden on the 5th, gonna jump up and start treeing coons out of the blue???

Yep...........I have seen it. I have seen with finished coondogs that hunted with a new handler..........After a few times of hunting with a new handler and getting use to it's new home home enviroment, the dog hunted like described.

Surely not all dogs act the same.

I have a young dog that the second night ever hunting stays with the older dogs and opens up on track.

I wish they all started that quick.

I would guess that is why some people sell a dog on trial----------- so the buyer can hunt the dog more than 1 or 2 times to see how the dog will hunt.

There must be some truth to it..............look at these world champion winners and Purina runners. Is it safe to say that they have bad nights? And these dogs are finished.

I really think you need to hunt an unfinished dog more than 2 times to get an opinion of the dog. Unfinished is the keyword.

Hunt the dog before you buy.

If that is not feasible, get a written guarantee.

I have hunted dogs on trial with written guarantees. I have also backed out when the owner wouldn't give a written guarantee.

But I am gonna hunt the dog more than 2 times to get an opinion of the dog.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:35 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

"JMO, but a dig that us sold as "Well-Started" better not be sitting at my feet when i go hunting!

Do ya'll really think a dog doing no more than this, is all-the-sudden on the 5th, gonna jump up and start treeing coons out of the blue???

Look, if the dog was "Well-Started", it wouldnt be sitting at your feet, ESPECIALLY, when other dogs are running and treeing!!! "

I agree with this statement to a point. Not all dogs are going to start hunting from the getgo, some take time. But if it has been out alot, and is still doing nothing, then you have a problem.

"And Turkey-huncher, contact the seller and demand your money back!

If he will not give you a refund, then spend a little more time with it.

If the dog will not make, cull it and move on!!! "

I don't think he will get his money back, nor will I. It is one of those cases where we paid good money for a dog that was advertised to be a "coondog", and it's not. The seller knew the dog wasn't any good and choose to lie in order to sell the dog. So we're left to do the best we can with what we have, and saddly a new view of fellow houndsmen.

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:37 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Foxtrapper, his dog was not advertised to be a coondog. It was advertised as well started and needs to be finished out.

I am sure if his dog was coondog, the price would have been alot higher.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:42 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Buckshot:

Sorry, didn't happen to see the ad for his dog, kinda genralized everything there. It just seems like, as I have stated before, started means many different things to different people. Do you have any idea what "90% broke" means :?: Cause I don't. And I don't think it ment what I orginally thought it ment either.

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:46 am 
IP:
I have never seen a "finished" dog sit at my feet when turned loose. I have seen them look like junk. treeing possums, standing on their head, quitting tracks, but never sit by me and never even amble off.

The point is, the dog is NOT what it was advertised to be. It may have been lightly started, but if it is what i call "well-started" it knows what its supposed to be doin, and might need another dogs help getting it treed.

This is probably a case of someone believing "well-started" means, been to the woods, showed a coon or hide, and can load in the box!

This is not what i call a started dog.

The way i see it, this is a 50-50 screw-up. The seller making a dog out toi be more than it really is just to sell it... and a guy making a mistake buying a dog he doesnt know from a man he doesnt know without a trial!!!

Turkeyhuncher, if buy dogs long enough you will probably get screwed again, just do everything you can to know what the dog REALLY is before you trade greenbacks.

If you cant get your money, and the dog wont make(given an honest chance, b/c your stuck w/ it anyway) cull it(and that dont mean give or sell your "problem" to a youth, but do what needs done!!!) and move on.

It has happened to almost all of us
I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:55 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

foxtrapper it means that there is a 10% chance that it will run off game.

Means that occassionally it will run non-coon.

90% of the time you'll have the coon...........the other 10% off-game.

So I guess if you hunt the dog 20 times, then 2 times it will run offgame.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'd be happy if it just ran coon 10% of the time, at least we'd be making progress :) :) :) .

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Possum one of these days you'll make someone a happy man.

Cause you may hunt a dog once or twice and pass on him thinking it was a cull and the next guy hunts the dog more than 2 times and finds that it hunts as advertised and wins a world championship with it.

LOL

Kinda back to my scenario with pro scouts. They do not base a players ability on 2 games.

Why should you base on a dog on 2 hunts.

I'll tell you a story in private to protect names if we ever hunt together that has a meaning behind why I think a dog deserves to be hunted more than once or twice.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: dogs are individuals
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:24 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

foxtrapper, I am more concerned that the dog arrived skinny and sick than that it didn't hunt on the first time out. I don't know how long that dog was with the courier, but the health issues would have caused me to call the seller right off the bat to complain. Could have been the seller, could have been the courier, but I wouldn't be doing business with either again.
If that dog had a traumatic trip, a cautious dog might not want to go out, well-started or not. Most young dogs have occasional setbacks. Each dog is different. Some take some warming up in a new situation. Also, young dogs are much more inclined to hang around at your feet in a new situation than mature dogs that have been hunted in a lot of different situations. I prefer one that takes some encouragement than one that will take off after a deer first chance it gets, but that's what suits me. Sounds like this dog isn't going to work out for you and the seller won't take it back. Time to cut your losses and find someone who is willing to take time with the hound. You've learned something about buying a hound from someone you haven't hunted with. Getting madder won't help your situation much.
Where in NY are you? I'm not very experienced, but after rifle season, I'd be glad to take you out in the woods in the Catskills here and see what kind of encouragement we can give your hound...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:26 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I bought 2 pups from same guy, had similar blood and liked it so called and spoke to him few times. Well 2 months ago these pups were 6 months old, when shipped few weeks ago he told me 9 months. Look at the papers today and will be a year in a week.
Now the hauler was very concerned when she picked pups up and called me to tell me these two "pups" looked terrible, must have never been socialized and were really underfed and I may as well have drug 2 emaciated coyotes outta that box when she got here and thats how she picked em up. Never seen anything like it before, one pup bit me next day loading her, if you came near them they looked like they would die from fear.
These pups are full of scars and shredded ears and not from hunting, they honestly look 9 years old not 9 months
When I last spoke to this man I specifically asked him if the there was anything wrong with the pups and if they were junk cause I dont need to waste my time, well he assured me they were real nice pups, lol.
Ive put lotta time into em already just to get them to trust me and have a long road ahead, would probably be saving myself a lot of grief by just culling them, should be started now not getting socialized at a year. But I think they will be okay.

Well Drew I didnt even call him because it would been more trouble than its worth, have bought dogs in the past and been very happy so i figure it was due :? .
Anyways for what its worth I dont think foxtrappers hound was off the chain in a real long time, and if his dog aint firing away on a coon track then there was a dishonest deal, cause well started and 90% broke means running a track treeing coon but not fully trash broke, no other definition for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:47 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Emily

My dog wasn't skinny and sick when it got here, those were the two females that Curby bought from the same guy. My hound was alittle bit underweight, but nothing too bad. I wormed him and have put alittle weight on him, but not alot. My hound just won't do anything in the woods, nothing, notta. I might take you up on your offer about hunting. :)

Curby
Glad your finally letting people know about your end of this deal. I agree about those dogs looking old, and scared to death. If it had been me buying them I would have had to have them put down, couldn't risk my boys getting bit. We need to get together for a hunt. :)

Anyway, I have my Brussel pups coming up, and hopefully next fall I will have a dog that will run and tree. I'm not giving up on this hound either, just have to figure out what he does know, and go from there, cause I know that getting any money back on him will be a real longshot. The one time I did talk to this feller that sold me this bum dog, he worked real hard at pointing the cause at everyone but himself.

foxtrapper

Post subject: foxtrapper
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:51 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

guess I didn't read carefully enough.sorry about that.
I've been thinking on this today and was wondering if maybe the coyotes were out when you took this "started dog" out the first couple of times? A lot of dogs are justifiably nervous around yotes and there have been a lot of those out around here recently. Not trying to make excuses for the hound, just trying to think what might have made a dog that was hunting unwilling to. ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:50 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot is right, I should have waited longer before involving him....I was upset about the way she looked when she arrived, then when we hit the woods, her lack of performance put me over the edge....But the guy I got her off of is a good person, and after cooling off a while, I really feel she probably just does need to adjust to a new home. Don't get me wrong, she hasn't shown ANYTHING positive, but I can honestly say that this seller is probably the last guy in the coonhound world that would knowingly screw someone, so I remain hopeful that she starts clicking....He is baffled as to why she is acting this way too, and swears to me he didn't talk her up in his ad, and I believe him (again) He has offered my money back, but I'm going to keep trying her 3 more weeks. Then, if she still hasn't improved, we will work something out....in private. I want to publically apologize to this fellow though, I shouldn't have slung mud as fast as I did at someone who has done so much on here for so many people. I over-react sometimes, thats one of my many faults.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:39 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

We do have some coyotes but not alot, and nothing close enough to rattle a dog, nothing within a mile. Maybe I am confusing people when I say he does nothing, he does get out and go. Two of the 15 nights he didn't come back in so I had to leave him and pick him up in the morning. He just doesn't open on track, or tree anything. Hence the nothing. :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I'm confused- Buckshot asked about 1 guy's dog and 3(curby, turkeyhuncher, and foxtrapper) are telling a story.Did all of yall deal with the same guy?Were all of yall unhappy?If so, I see a pattern.I'm NOT trying to be a smart-aleck, I'm genuinely confused.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next