CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should I hunt this dog for ______ before I complain?
Just 2 times 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
More than 2 times 91%  91%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:02 pm 
IP:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2 nights doesnt state is a coondog can hunt or not .. Rome wasnt built in a day, great coonhounds arent built in a night!

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:09 pm 
IP:
heres my philosophy " on the dogs that walk on water according to the owners" the more bragging and more $$$ you ask the more nights i request to see this phenom of a hound i have bought a few under the 1st coon but not many

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:18 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

So, do ya think I can start complaining about the dog I bought after 15 nights of hunting?????????? If not, how long does it take to give a dog a fair chance to do what he was advertised to do????????? I'm asking because I want to give this dog every chance, cause he's a nice dog. So what does everyone think?????????

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:01 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Say the guy who bought the hound read how coon-crazy it is, well-well started with an incredible chop mouth, extremly fast on the track, one win away from show champ, etc. Then when its delivered by a courier, its very-very thin (starved looking) with a sore on its belly thats infected and painful looking. So he lays it up for over a week, treating its different ailments, and hand feeding it back to a decent level of health. By this time the dog is very friendly with the new owner, goes for daily walks, comes when called, etc. So on openning night, they hit the wood. Driving down the lane at the woods, 2 coon are SEEN on the ground. Dog is taken to the exact spot where they were 45 seconds earlier, and nothing......Stays at feet, doesn't hunt at all, never really gets out of sight. 3 nights later, same thing other than 2 dogs are brought along. The 2 eventually track and tree, but the new dog does nothing. Should the guy who just spent $500 on the dog plus medication $ wait until months go by, so then Buckshot won't help, and seller is gonna say you ruined the dog, and its your fault, not his? Or should he get mad after 2 nights, bring it to the attention of the forum moderater, that way in a couple weeks when the dog is still worthless, the moderator had a heads up?

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:23 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Should the guy who just spent $500 on the dog plus medication $ wait until months go by, so then Buckshot won't help, and seller is gonna say you ruined the dog, and its your fault, not his? Or should he get mad after 2 nights, bring it to the attention of the forum moderater, that way in a couple weeks when the dog is still worthless, the moderator had a heads up?

The guy should hunt the unfinished dog more than 2 times before he contacts me and tells me he got screwed.

Instead of telling me he got screwed in a dog deal after hunting the dog 2 times, he should PM me and say "Hey I bought this dog and I only hunted it 2 times and it's not hunting as advertised. What do I do if I keep hunting it, and it still doesn't hunt?"

Or wait till it's been hunted more than 2 times then contact me.

A man that hunts an unfinshed dog twice and them contacts me and says they have been screwed, to me hasn't hunted the dog enough to get a real opinion of the dog.

Not sure how it would end up months later. My hunting math shows me that 2 weeks = 14 days. If you hunt the dog 10 times in 14 days that doesn't equal months down the road.

I would also tell a guy that he needs to be hunting an unfinished dog regularly. Not hunted 1 night then wait 3 nights. Then say ok, I got screwed and no more hunting it.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:55 am 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

I don't know if you save your PMs , but if you do, pull up the one from Sat Nov 12 2005 12:39am

I'll bet it reads: I'm a dumb*** for buying a dog sight unseen, but thought highly of the seller, as many others on here do, I've bought a pup off him before....since the dogs ailments are healing, and getting some meat back on its bones, took it out two nights.....Didn't come close to as advertised....want to give it ANOTHER WEEK OR SO, GIVE IT EVERY CHANCE TO PROVE ITSELF....After the time has passed and if it still hasn't, would you want to be the go-between?

Now you can make me look like a jerk that was giving up after 2 nights, but The seller and I have a mutual friend that can vouche, that I've always said we'd give it more opportunity, release cage coon, keep hunting etc...It was brought to your attention because I know that if I sell a dog, don't hear anything, then 4-8 weeks later, the new owner complains, I would think HE screwed the dog up, not my problem....But by involving you, I would have impartial 3rd party witness that could say yes, he had problems and the dog showed nothing from day #1. But what I did get from you was insults saying I was a "NEWBIE" and i should wait way more than 2 hunts. (which I agree) But I wasn't going to wait and then say GUESS WHAT! THE DOG SUCKS! I WANT MY MONEY BACK!!!

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:02 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I read in the walk with wick book about a guy who used to buy up hyper/do nothing hounds, restrict their diet and hunt the hide off them. They were really good dogs when they were slightly underfed, but returned to trashy dogs as soon as the feed was put back to them. Maybe he's this kinda hound??? I can relate to the situation, as I also wormed the dog I bought, and laid him up awhile so he could get used to me. BUT, in 15 nights of hunting he has done nothing. So I talked to the guy I bought him from, and explained that he wasn't doing what he was advertised to do, and that he sure wasn't no $500 dog. His statement was that I just wanted my money back, and keep the dog too. At which point I told him if he gave me my money back he could come get the dog. He hung up on me. I don't see where I am going to ever get any of my money back, or a dog that hunts as he was advertised to hunt. If this dog ever hunts, it will be because I put the effort into him, and didn't give up. This guy stated to me that this dog runs and trees, opens on track and tree, and was just a good overall hound. YEA RIGHT. This same guy sold a friend of mine's east of here 2 female BT pups (9mths old) at the same time, and these dogs were so shy that I don't think either of them will be any good, (I saw one of the dogs with my own eyes before it was delivered to him, an IT WAS SCARED TO DEATH OF EVERYTHING). Just somethings to think about before you go buying a dog off the internet.

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:30 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Did I call you a newbie? Yep................I figured you were because you have only hunted this dog twice and then started PMing me saying you got screwed.

Sorry but from the PM's I was receiving from you, it sounded like you had your opinion after 2 hunts --- and that was that you were screwed.

Quote:
I understand that 2 hunts isn't much, but like I said, had I waited 4 weeks and hunted her 3-4 times a week, then complained about her not doing anything, it would have been turned into I did something wrong with her, and she was a great hound, but I ruined her.

Let me ask this..............Why did you tell me in your PM that you wanted your money back --- after only hunting the dog twice.

Didn't I tell you to hunt the dog more than 2 times before you made an opinion of the dog?

You kept saying if you hunted the dog more and then complained it, you would be blamed.

I am sorry, when you told me you wnated your money back after 2 hunts, that made it seem to me you had your opinion and gave up.

And I really love how you PM'd me and said the results of the poll is biased because I started the poll. That the only reason the people agreed with me is because I started the poll.

That is far fetched and you know it!!! Your grabbing at straws.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:08 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Once again I'd like to know-why wasn't the dog hunted BEFORE the purchase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:20 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Sometimes it is not feasible to hunt a dog pior to buying. In my case I am in NY and the dog came from MI. I couldn't drive clear out there to try out a dog. Also, unless you can talk them into hunting the dog alone, you really don't know anymore than you did before the hunt. I have found that some people can really peddle the BS. This has certainly been a learning expericance for me. I guess I should be grateful I'm only out $700, and not alot more. :oops: :oops: :oops:

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:37 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

I honestly hope that you get your money back- I hate to hear about anybody getting duped- especially a fellow coonhunter BY a fellow coonhunter.So how many times has the dog been hunted at this point?What is he/she doing that is wrong?God knows I've passed up some decent dogs 'cause of "operator malfunction".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:44 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

If you read back through this thread you can pretty much pick up on what the dog is doing, nothing. I've had him out 15 nites, and he does nothing, nothing, nothing. :( :( Did get into a porky and a skunk though, guess that's something. I'm not too sure the fellow I bought him from is a fellow coonhunter. I just don't see how a real coonhunter can shaft someone like this. :( :oops: :(

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

If you can't get your money back and decide to give the dog a chance,there are alot of people on here chomping at the bit to give good advice if you're willing to ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:16 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm not giving up on him yet. Our deer season opens Sat, so I'm going to lay him up for awhile, and just work on basic commands with him. He is scared to load up, not sure why that is. I wanted to enter the local hunts with him next year, but I guess that's out until one of my Brussel pups is ready next fall.

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:17 am 
IP:
Quote:
Let me ask this..............Why did you tell me in your PM that you wanted your money back --- after only hunting the dog twice.

Didn't I tell you to hunt the dog more than 2 times before you made an opinion of the dog?

JMO, but a dig that us sold as "Well-Started" better not be sitting at my feet when i go hunting!

Do ya'll really think a dog doing no more than this, is all-the-sudden on the 5th, gonna jump up and start treeing coons out of the blue???

Look, if the dog was "Well-Started", it wouldnt be sitting at your feet, ESPECIALLY, when other dogs are running and treeing!!!

Buckshot, if i were you, id put a disclaimer on this board that you are not responsible for the sales on this board, and save yourself all the headache and bickering!

And Turkey-huncher, contact the seller and demand your money back!

If he will not give you a refund, then spend a little more time with it.

If the dog will not make, cull it and move on!!!

Next time, find a dog closer and hunt it several nights BEFORE you buy it!!!

You dont have to drive 1000 miles to get a good dog, but another suggestion....

If a young dog (especially if its a S.S. pup) is being sold being described as you say, It WON'T be for sale for no $500 JMO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next