CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Should I hunt this dog for ______ before I complain?
Just 2 times 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
More than 2 times 91%  91%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 67
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:31 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question for you folks on the forum.

A dog that recently weaned a littler of pups is advertised as well started, quick on the Ground, and one of the Hardest Cop Mouthed dogs I have seen. She just needs finished off with a good Kill season.

You buy her and only hunt her twice and then say you got burned.

Should you hunt the unfinished dog more than 2 times to see how this dog really hunts?

Or you should you hunt this unfinished dog 2 times and then start complaining?

I'd like to hear everyones opinion.

This situation was PM'd to me. The guy only hunted the unfinished dog 2 times then complained.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in the opinion that if you buy and unfinished dog that you need to hunt the dog more than 2 times to see how this dog is gonna hunt.

You take a young dog that just weaned a litter of pups recently to a new handler in a new home enviroment...............the dog needs hunting more than 2 times to get an idea of how she is.

Pro scouts watch these ball players more than 2 games to get an idea of how they play.

I'm know finished coondogs can have an off night,,,,,,,,,,,I would think it's possible for an unfinished dog to have an off night.

I think you need to hunt a young unfinished dog more than 2 times to get an idea of how this dog will hunt.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Last edited by Buckshot on Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:35 am 
IP:
I agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:52 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I think you are right Buckshot. You should first give the dog a little time to get to know and familar to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:04 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

You've got to hunt the dog more than twice to see what it's really got.There are so many factors (especially this time of year) that can mess with a dog,you've gotta give it more of a chance.Heck, between the weather and trying to hunt 2 different dogs seperately, I'm only getting one or two good hunts out of five lately.
Was it not possible to hunt the dog BEFORE the purchase?Also, I wouldn't be too big on breeding a "started" dog.Until they're finished and going strong, I try to keep the distractions to a minimum(just my opinion).Having pups can really mess with some female's minds, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:25 am 
IP:
I have not raised many litters of pups, a few here and there as need arises but I usually purchase dogs from reputable folk. I have purchased dogs in every stage of training imaginable for well over twenty years. One thing for sure is you do not expect much out of a dog at any level for about a month or even two sometimes longer depending on the dog. I never put a recently purchased dog in the field until I have had it with me for a couple of months. To only put a dog out two times and then complain is not fair to the seller. I am not saying the dog will meet the persons expectations but two times isn't even close to getting a fair picture of the dog. I am curious as to how long the buyer had the dog before hunting it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:39 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

:D :D I am a firm believer that you get out of a hound.. what YOU put into it!! If your a couch potatoe dont expect your hound to be some great coonhound.. you need to get out and put some boot time on it!! If your not willing to put in the time.. I dont think you have a reason to complain!! I know some hounds just dont have it in them.. but if you have done all you can.. and have hunted this dog 5-7 nights a week for a month and have got nothing out of it.. then its time to cull it.. I think You are the only one that can decide when you have enough and have the right to complain.. just my opinion!! :wink:

Post subject: complaining
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:02 am 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Well, you often get what you pay for.. But I am of the opinion that you have to earn the respect of a coonhound-- they're smart and won't perform well for just anyone. Some experienced dog handlers can earn the respect of a new hound almost instantly, others have to work hard to earn that respect. And not every dog is suited to every handler. If a dog isn't hunting the way it was advertised, it might be the dog and it might be the handler, or just a mismatch. In my experience, it takes a typical dog and handler at least a month to fully adjust to each other. That includes hunting time and other stuff--like the dog learning it is going to get properly taken care of. Just putting in some time going over basic obedience helps earn the dog's respect. And if you do something the dog considers really stupid or mean, its not going to do anything for you. I have an acquaintance with a bluetick that he regularly lets tree all night and doesn't bother to look to see what he's got until daylight. That dog has no respect for the man. I won't hunt with the guy and his hound doesn't enjoy it either. He'd rather get off his chain and hunt alone. :roll:

Post subject: POST SUBJECT
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:48 pm 
IP:
I THINK A WELL STARTED DOG SHOULD SHOW YOU
SOMETHING GOOD THE FIRST TIME OUT. YOU SHOULD
NOT HALF TO KEEP THE DOG 2 OR 3 OR 4 DAYS FOR IT
TO SHOW YOU SOMETHING GOOD. A GOOD DOG JUST
WANTS COON THEY DONT CARE WHO THEY ARE HUNTING
WITH . If you buy a dog at 6 pm they should tree you a
coon at 7pm the same day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:21 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Ok, if it takes a month for a new dog to show you "something" how long do you work that dog before complaining? I have a dog that I recently purchased that was "90% broke", and he has shown me nothing in 15 nights of hunting. I have laid him up for the last few days to let him think about it. With a dog that has been advertised to preform at "90% broke, (I'm not really sure what he was broke to do 90% of the time, bellies up to the bowl real well. :? ), how long do you work that dog, and if he "finally" does anything, who gets the credit, the guy who sold him, or the one who didn't give up on him?

One of the things that really bums me is the loosely used term "started". It means many things to different people. To me it means they will at least open on track, and maybe tree with some encouragement. To someone else it might mean that the dog can track and tree. To others it means they've been shown a caged coon. Can't we get a standred definition of "started" so everyone is on the same page????????? :?

foxtrapper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:40 pm 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can see 15 nights of hunts that the dog should be doing what was advertised.

But I think 2 hunts is not enough to get an opinion.

I have seen sure nuff coondogs that need to be hunted 1 week on trial to get an opinion of them.

I've also seen sure nuff coondogs get it done the day they were bought.

Every dog isn't different.

But a dog that is not a finished needs to be hunted more than 2 times to get an opinion.

Profile  WWW
 Post subject: i would
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:46 pm 
IP:
BANNED
BANNED

every dog is different i would give the dog time and see what it does and then if it aint no good i would complain to the person that talked it up so much

'PR' DUVALLS STAYPUT BONZEYE
Ethan Duvall
1-479-858-1967

Last edited by ethan duvall on Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:35 pm 
IP:
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

I'VE BOUGHT A LOT OF DOGS AND SOLD A LOT OF DOGS,,AND YOU SHOULD GIVE "ANY" DOG A FAIR CHANCE.I GET A LOT OFF MY BUDDY GARDRAIL BENTLY OUT OF KENTUCKY,,,THE FIRST ONE I BOUGHT I WAS READY TO SHOOT THE FIRST TIME OUT...I CALLED HIM AND COMPLAINED,,,TWO NIGHTS LATER I CALLED HIM AND APPOLOGIZED(THE DOG WAS TOUGH!).SINCE THEN I HAVE BOUGHT QUITE A FEW,,BUT I GIVE THEM A CHANCE AND HAVE NEVER COMPLAINED AGAIN.I USALLY DON'T JUDGE A DOG TIL I'VE HUNTED IT 4 OR 5 TIMES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:44 pm 
IP:
Everyone says stuff they regret when it comes ot the heat of the moment!

Post subject: too fast....
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I'm gonna' have to agree with Emily on this one.
It takes 2 to tango, and if the handler is out of step with the hound, it's not gonna' work. If the hound doesn't know what the handler wants, it's not gonna work.
Why is everyone in such a damn big hurry anyway?
I work with humans, and it takes more than one time for them to understand what's needed on the job; why do we expect more from a dog?

Post subject: this is
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:55 pm 
IP:
THIS IS ETHAN DUVALL I HAVE BEAT THE SYSTEM I HAVE BEAT SYSTEM I AM BACK ON www.coondawgs.com/forum and i was not making nonsense i had a very serious until walkerhunter10 had to make that comment i am a astronaut