CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Should I hunt this dog for ______ before I complain?
Just 2 times 9%  9%  [ 6 ]
More than 2 times 91%  91%  [ 61 ]
Total votes : 67
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:02 am 
IP:
Site Admin
Site Admin

Without naming names, 1 of those is in the dog deal where I aksed the question. The other 2 added their dog deals.

HuntingBassets.com - A site dedicated to hunting with Basset Hounds

Profile  WWW

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:04 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

I kinda hijacked this thread, I have no idea who turkey huncher bought his dog from. I had also been in contact with Buckshot over my own deal here, and decieded this would be a good time to air the some of the details on my own misadventure.

Found out some interesting things from UKC this morning. I'm the fourth owner of this dog, and he's only 4 years old. I'm not sure how long this feller owned this dog, but couldn't have been tooo long. I have the names of the previous owners, but won't post them unless Buckshot says it's ok. I won't post the name of the guy I bought him from. Would like to know if anyone knows the breeder and the guy who owned him before this guy did, and what he was doing when they had him, if that's ok.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:17 pm 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

There should be a 3rd choice in the poll, and that is that it would depend. there are so many scenerios out there that yes, i believe it is possible to cull a dog in two hunts. would i reccommend it? no. good example...I feel that I have a few decent dogs (I only have two and I'm picky, I wont bring in any ol dog to my pack, they have to work together and have a level of standard) If I know that I am looking for a dog that will benefit- not hinder my dogs then I will probobly cull it on the 2nd or 3rd hunt when it is not performing- only if it has the chance to show what it can do more than once or twice and I know that it has reached a level of comfort and trust with me and my pack. I am not a hound trainer therfore if I do not want to start a pup and if I am looking for a "started dog" to run with mine then I am going to want one that is started. not one that's a foot warmer. In my opinon some of us little guys have to cull out dogs because we do not train them (for a living or for others or for any reason other than for our own pleasure) or want to start with a dog that green always. If what the scenerio says is true then I would be unhappy about the dogs performance also. I would cull the dog becuase I know that If its not what Im looking for and I dont want to spend time on it then I can find another that I know will work. Think about it- if the sellers dog will do all that he says it will for $500 dont ya think he'd be glad to take it back, knowing that he should be able to resell it quickly if it really was worth the $500? that is a general statement- not meant to offend anyone. I dont wnat this to sound like I am lazy or dont put out effort. I love training pups and to me its all trial and error for each one. I put out the time and I know a little about what it takes. I think that this should have been left to a poll, not a discussion about one persons "mistake" we are all only human, and guess what we all make mistakes wether it be the seller the buyer or the moderator. I could be way off but this kinda looks like someone trying to humilate another person. JMO but theres not one of us thats any better than the rest and the only way that you can learn is to make mistakes. and just so know, I am a youth hunter- 19 years old and female. I have been doing this since I can remember. I have had my own dogs for ten years, this winter. and wether your green a newbie or been doing this for 40 years, we all do things we know we shouldnt have or we regret. Its not right for any of us to decide if the buyer of the dog was right or wrong becuase it seems that we dont have all of the details on both sides, we would have to be in his shoes to make what we think is the right call. there is not right call, its all a matter of opinon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:12 pm 
IP:
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Buckshot, didnt mean to put another spoon in the pot, just wanted to make a point on foxtrappers behalf.

I did not read this thread fully and assumed this was a dicussion of foxtrappers deal, pardon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:44 pm 
IP:
Chop Mouth
Chop Mouth

if the dog has just weaned a litter of pups then she hasn't been in the woods for a while... she's definitely going to need some polish work so I say more than two. otherwise, two times should be plenty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:10 pm 
IP:
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Definitely hunt it more than twice. Anything that you care enough about to spend night after night following and are willing to spend hundreds of dollars on should be checked out to the best of your ability or you should be prepared to be ripped off (either accidentally or on purpose). It may not always be possible to meet your future hound and trial it before you buy it. That is when you should decide if you can afford to lose your investment or if you should look elsewhere, not after you have put the money out. Would you buy a used truck on somebody's say-so after just starting it up but no test drive? Even worse, would you buy it without ever setting eyes on it or hearing it run? I might buy it after starting it up if I were prepared to identify and fix whatever may be wrong with it or to junk it and chalk it up to experience. If I had enough law backing me I might even go to court but if I never test drove it I'd have no case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:17 pm 
IP:
Vortec_S10 wrote:
if the dog has just weaned a litter of pups then she hasn't been in the woods for a while... she's definitely going to need some polish work so I say more than two. otherwise, two times should be plenty.

A dog slicking a little, or trashing a little after weaning pups needs "polishing"!

A dog that is supposed to be "well-started", and wont leave your feet needs something else!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:00 am 
IP:
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Buckshot took care of this guy. He nailed 3 of us on bad deals, but he won't be doing that here :) or on UKC, :) , because he's been banned from both sites.

Thanks for looking out for your forum members Buckshot. I didn't get any thing back, but have the satistisfaction of knowing someone else won't get taken on one of his dogs. :) :) :) .