CoonDawgs.com Coonhound Classifieds and Message Forum

 

It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 


Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:21 am 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Florida
For about almost nine or ten years now I have wanted to coonhunt, and I think I'm finally going to bite the bullet and get one, previously I was a little young and parents wouldn't let me haha. But how do I get into coonhunting? I've never hunted before and parents don't hunt. Can I hunt with just one coonhound or do I need two? How old do they have to be before I can start hunting with them, like how long does it take to train them? My plan is to start with either a dead carcass or a rag with some scent sprayed on it and drag it around the yard and get the coonhound to follow it. Then once he's got that down I should try with a live coon, but the only problem is I don't know where to get one. I've only got about an acre of land so trapping one is hard, can I buy one or what? And once I get a live coon where do I let it go and have the dog chase after it? I guess public hunting land would work right? I also have to desensitize the dog to gun fire which I'll be doing while I train him. I don't really know anyone who coonhunts and I couldn't find any guided coon hunts near me so I think it's gonna be pretty hard to get into coon hunting, but I'm super determined. Can anyone answer my questions or give me some advice on how to get into it?
Thanks


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  

 

Join the forum today and remove this ad!
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:34 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2693
Location: MI
my best advice is to buy a good broke dog when just starting out. a good broke coon hound will teach you how the sport can be very enjoyable. go hunting with the dog before you buy it so you can see the dog actually tree and stay treed on coon and not leave trees or chase deer. do not believe the seller on what the dogs does without seeing the dog do the job in the woods yourself. although it can be very rewarding to see a dog tree coon after you have trained it yourself,, training a coon hound is not for someone just starting out.. so many people buy a pup and then realize they are in way over their head. they get attached to the pup and then the dog doesn't make the grade and you will end up feeding a dog that can't tree a coon till it dies of old age. the success rate of the best trainers in the world is not all that high. it takes a lot of knowledge in breeding and how to train them.you will ruin a lot of dogs before you ever get the knowledge on how to properly train a well bred coon hound. read all you can find on coon hunting with a hound. find someone that has a decent dog that will take you along hunting with him and his dog. then find a decent dog already trained to buy and start hunting with. preferably find a well seasoned coon hunter to help you find the right dog.

_________________
RED EAGLE MACK & RED EAGLE STYLISH BOOMER
Image
Image
Toecutmo Raper


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:43 am 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Florida
toe cutter wrote:
my best advice is to buy a good broke dog when just starting out. a good broke coon hound will teach you how the sport can be very enjoyable. go hunting with the dog before you buy it so you can see the dog actually tree and stay treed on coon and not leave trees or chase deer. do not believe the seller on what the dogs does without seeing the dog do the job in the woods yourself. although it can be very rewarding to see a dog tree coon after you have trained it yourself,, training a coon hound is not for someone just starting out.. so many people buy a pup and then realize they are in way over their head. they get attached to the pup and then the dog doesn't make the grade and you will end up feeding a dog that can't tree a coon till it dies of old age. the success rate of the best trainers in the world is not all that high. it takes a lot of knowledge in breeding and how to train them.you will ruin a lot of dogs before you ever get the knowledge on how to properly train a well bred coon hound. read all you can find on coon hunting with a hound. find someone that has a decent dog that will take you along hunting with him and his dog. then find a decent dog already trained to buy and start hunting with. preferably find a well seasoned coon hunter to help you find the right dog.

So I should find a dog in my area that already can tree a coon? Would going to a nite hunt help me find someone who can help me with coon hunting?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:35 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2693
Location: MI
yes, i think you would be so much farther ahead if you find a dog that is already trained and can tree a coon. often you can find an older dog 6 or 7yrs old that can be bought reasonably. you should be able to find a coon hunter at a nite hunt that would let you go pleasure hunting with them in your area. the more you can learn about coon hunting and what a dog is suppose to do and not do before you buy a dog the better.. it will help you tremendously in finding a decent hound that can perform correctly..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:12 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Florida
toe cutter wrote:
yes, i think you would be so much farther ahead if you find a dog that is already trained and can tree a coon. often you can find an older dog 6 or 7yrs old that can be bought reasonably. you should be able to find a coon hunter at a nite hunt that would let you go pleasure hunting with them in your area. the more you can learn about coon hunting and what a dog is suppose to do and not do before you buy a dog the better.. it will help you tremendously in finding a decent hound that can perform correctly..

I don’t own land that I can hunt on, but they would probably know some good places to go right? Cause WMAs near me have a super short small game season and by the time I get into coon Huntin the season at the wmas will be over


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:46 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2693
Location: MI
Although most coon hunters will be willing to take you hunting with them do not expect them to share the places they hunt with you.
The fastest way to make them not be your friend is to go back and hunt the places they take you hunting. unless its state land or something where anyone is allowed to hunt..
Finding places to hunt will be on you. you will have to seek out land owners and ask them for permission for you to hunt coon on their land.
You will find that although coon hunters are friendly and more than happy to help you get started,, they are a funny bunch. often although they are friendly you will see there is more jealousy between them than old women at a pie baking contest.
Going back and hunting another coon hunters spots is one of the elements of coon hunting etiquette (rules of conduct) that you just don't do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:09 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Florida
toe cutter wrote:
Although most coon hunters will be willing to take you hunting with them do not expect them to share the places they hunt with you.
The fastest way to make them not be your friend is to go back and hunt the places they take you hunting. unless its state land or something where anyone is allowed to hunt..
Finding places to hunt will be on you. you will have to seek out land owners and ask them for permission for you to hunt coon on their land.
You will find that although coon hunters are friendly and more than happy to help you get started,, they are a funny bunch. often although they are friendly you will see there is more jealousy between them than old women at a pie baking contest.
Going back and hunting another coon hunters spots is one of the elements of coon hunting etiquette (rules of conduct) that you just don't do.

I thought I had some deja vu for a second then realized you’re from the Ukc forum


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:07 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 14 May 2008
Posts: 2693
Location: MI
I consider my self from here. I just visit the other site from time to time. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:28 pm 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 78
Location: Wv
take what toe cutter has to say to heart as he is very experienced in the coon hunting world


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:04 am 
IP:
Offline
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Joined: 03 Dec 2018
Posts: 5
Location: Florida
Yea i used to browse this forum like four or five years ago. I made an account on UKC a month ago and its so much more active. This one is mostly dead which is a real bummer


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:44 pm 
IP:
Offline
Loose Mouth
Loose Mouth

Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Posts: 4023
Location: NJ
I second what Spinner said. Toe Cutter is giving excellent advice.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

Want to DISABLE pop-up ads & banners after 1st post of threads? Become a member of the forum & view the forum logged in.

CLICK HERE for more info.

CoonDawgs.com - Your One Stop Coon Dog Source for Coon Hunting!!